They just stopped laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mahonri, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I don't get it.

We were getting about a dozen a day from 19 hens that can lay.

Yesterday we got 3.

Little moochers.

They get plenty of feed, water, light.... got up to 75 yesterday... it was gorgeous

Can't figure out why they just stopped.

I don't see any moulting. Poop all looks good.

What's up with that?

And now we have folks who are on list wanting to buy!!!

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Uhmmm, you didnt know when you have a "list" the girls stop laying ?? It's the way it is !! Silly chickens !!!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  3. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Are they Union chickens? Maybe they went out on strike....LOL
    Has there been any disruption in routine? Maybe a predator scare? Ran out of water for a few hours? Our girls do that too from time to time. Go along great and all of a sudden...nothing. We keep close track of egg laying and one thing that we have found is that because they only lay every 26 to 28 hours that one day every two months or so it is like the planets aline and they are all at that no lay day together. Ours all lay 5 eggs per week between the hours of 5:30 am and 4:00 pm. And so it does work out where they have an off day and just every so often it all happens at once. Keep a watch on them for any funny changes and keep us posted.

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Oh Mahonri, I forgot to tell you- I shipped my egg-stealing rat snake to you! [​IMG]

I have 11 dozen eggs right now, and I can't GIVE them away. No one wants to buy them, even when I'm only asking $2 a dozen. Want me to ship them to you?

5. gapeachy

gapeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    I am not getting any eggs right now....I feed laying pellets and scratch with corn mixed in and free range...still no eggs

6. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Maybe they just took a break. Give them a little time and then put a KFC bucket in the coop as a hint.

7. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:[​IMG] If your lucky they will start laying agian for you..... In the KFC bucket !!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by