They keep going for his legs(Leg cuts)

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
What's the easiest way to wrap legs?? He won't let me

The "Leg cuts" part of the post title may be a bit confusing but the injuries on our almost-year old cockerel's legs look more like cuts. I've seen the hens do this so I know where the injuries came from. I checked his legs for anything that might have made them do this but aside from the injuries, there's nothing there.
He's currently inside in the garage for now.
Nothing changed, I didn't do anything to make changes in their life. Usually things happen when stuff changes but nothing has.
Our drake and ducks are the only ones leaving him alone since they like to be by themselves in the yard or when they're free ranging.

Why are our hens going after his legs like this?? He does nothing to stop it, just stands there while they peck his legs like crazy.

Can you get some photos?

Is he feather footed?

If the legs are picked/cut then keep treating like an injury. Clean the cuts, apply a thin layer of triple antibiotic ointment, then wrap the legs.

I like to use Coban/Vet Wrap - whatever you want to call it. I go ahead and have strips cut before I start working on the bird. Vet Wrap is fairly wide, so I cut a piece or two in 1/2 and a couple of more in 1/3. This gives you thin pieces to work with.
If he's agreeable, then doing it by yourself will work o.k., if not, then either wrap him like a burrito and lay him on his side or have someone hold him.

Even if the injury is just on the leg then wrap the leg portion. If he starts picking/pulling at the wrappings, then wrap the foot along with the leg. Vet wrap sticks pretty well so either remember how you wrapped or be prepared to cut the wrappings off (that's what I do).
Check the wrapping a couple of times a day to make sure it's not twisting, it's not getting tight and the legs are not swelling. Since I haven't seen the wounds, I would suggest you change the wrapping every other day. If the leg is swollen or looking infected, then change every day.

If the hens are really going after him they may pick at the wrappings and you may find it better to cage or pen him separately until he heals. If he's separated, depending on the wounds he may not need wrappings just daily wound care.

Can you get some photos?

Is he feather footed?

If the legs are picked/cut then keep treating like an injury. Clean the cuts, apply a thin layer of triple antibiotic ointment, then wrap the legs.

I like to use Coban/Vet Wrap - whatever you want to call it. I go ahead and have strips cut before I start working on the bird. Vet Wrap is fairly wide, so I cut a piece or two in 1/2 and a couple of more in 1/3. This gives you thin pieces to work with.
If he's agreeable, then doing it by yourself will work o.k., if not, then either wrap him like a burrito and lay him on his side or have someone hold him.

Even if the injury is just on the leg then wrap the leg portion. If he starts picking/pulling at the wrappings, then wrap the foot along with the leg. Vet wrap sticks pretty well so either remember how you wrapped or be prepared to cut the wrappings off (that's what I do).
Check the wrapping a couple of times a day to make sure it's not twisting, it's not getting tight and the legs are not swelling. Since I haven't seen the wounds, I would suggest you change the wrapping every other day. If the leg is swollen or looking infected, then change every day.

If the hens are really going after him they may pick at the wrappings and you may find it better to cage or pen him separately until he heals. If he's separated, depending on the wounds he may not need wrappings just daily wound care.
I'll try to get photos but they may be blurry because he doesn't like my phone and I can't hold him either because he freaks out.
Yes, feather footed. He's a Belgian d'Uccle Bantam.
He won't be going back out until his legs are healed.

Are the hens plucking out pin feathers and eating them?
They may be finding they are getting some blood drawn which is very interesting to them.

Poor little guy. You may have to wait until it's dark to handle him. If he's really flighty, then wrapping him in a towel is what you'll need to do. I would also lightly cover his head with a towel or cloth to help calm him. Talk to him in low tones.

Are the hens plucking out pin feathers and eating them?
They may be finding they are getting some blood drawn which is very interesting to them.

Poor little guy. You may have to wait until it's dark to handle him. If he's really flighty, then wrapping him in a towel is what you'll need to do. I would also lightly cover his head with a towel or cloth to help calm him. Talk to him in low tones.
No, they're not.
And photos may have to wait. I accidentally scared him while going into the garage to take him out of the cage he's in. He rammed himself into the sides like crazy so I need to make sure he didn't do any damage to himself before I decide to take photos.

Back
Top Bottom