they killed her!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lizl, May 12, 2011.

1. Lizl

Lizl Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2011
    I've just found one of my hens dead in the coop. She's been plucked almost clean, and her insides are...well....outside. This must've happened in about 3 hrs, as I fed them just before I left to run some errands. How do I stop such behaviour? Can there be a deficiency in their diet? They're 10wks old and on broiler grower.

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    They could be lacking protein. Or need more space. Or your hen could have prolapsed and they seized the oppotunity. Or a predator could have gotten to her. Or they could be bored. With chickens there are so many possibilities. Keep an eye on the others to see if they are behaving aggressively toward one another. They may not have actually killed her. [​IMG] so sorry about your baby.

3. binza1979

binza1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Utah
    I'm so sorry! We found our little girl in time to save her, but they do damage so fast. I have no idea why they feel the need to attack. I hope you get the answers as to why it happened.

4. Lizl

Lizl Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2011
    Thanx, guys. I've just had them for about a week now. They're still having little "fights". It's hilarious to watch them having "stare-downs". Should I introduce a cockrel to maintain the pecking order? Apparently that helps settles them. Oh, so much to learn!

5. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    Quote:oh my gosh you think the other hens did this... I had no idea they could be so mean and cannibal... how old are the hens is this a behavior I should watch out for ( new to chickens) int he future or is this a odd thing to happen?

)O(
    Pink

6. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Oh my broilers often have heart attacks and die, especially once they put on alot of weight. So she could have died and then they just went bullistic on her......Once they draw blood, it's like a frenzy. Chickens are very attracted to the color red.

It's one of the brutal facts about chickens and other poultry.

So sorry this happened,

Sharon

7. Lytlechick

Lytlechick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    Rome
    I've got a young hen that will run all over my roo? He likes to act up and she keeps him in line!

8. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Are they over crowded?? That's one of the main things to watch for when their real young. They need their space!!

9. Bengalcats1

Bengalcats1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Are you SURE they did it? That seems to be extreme, I would think something else got her first

10. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Not for sure without pics, or how you have your coop/run area wired and or put together, but I'm willing to bet a predator type animal did this and not your other chix. I had the same thing happen and I initially blamed the other chickens, until I figured out it was a raccoon reaching in thru the chicken wire and doing the damage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by