They killed one of the babies last night. Ripped it right out. :(

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by dandydoodle, Jun 22, 2011.

1. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    How do I protect the 11 babies that are left. I went down to the coop to find one of the babies had been ripped right out of its eggs. It took it right out from under its broody mama. I am positive it was a rat. They can get into the coop no problem. How do I keep it from killing the rest? Please help.[​IMG]

2. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Oh no. How horrible. I am so sorry. [​IMG] [​IMG] Is there anyway that you could move mom and babies into your house till they are big enough? Or maybe a garage or something. I wish you all the luck in the world. [​IMG]

3. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    That sucks [​IMG] Had that problem once rats wiped out 15+ chicks, we used poison and stayed up at night and would shot them with bb guns.

4. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    I don't know I am gonna talk to my husband, he feels pretty strongly about no chickens in the house. I am so mad, sad and worried right this moment. Uggh there was even a little baby feather left behind in the egg. So I know they all must be really close to hatching. If there was anyway I could take them from her and hatch them I would. I would be scared I would hurt them though. It just kills me she is inside a closed brooder inside a chicken coop. You would think they would be safe but, no. Rats climb up on the roof of the chicken coop got between the wood slats then dig a tunnel going under the brooder then sneak under the broody momma and steal the eggs.
    [​IMG]

5. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    How old were the babies they killed. At what age will they leave them alone?

Quote:

6. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Build an all wire brooder cage. Wire top bottom and sides.

I have a lot of mouse problems and they can fit through the tiniest space.....with rats you should be able to have a little more leeway.

7. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Thanks, how do you do that? How do you get in the brooder? Do you mean make it with wood and chicken wire? You don't happen to have a picture of one of these do you? I think I am gonna line the bottom of the brooder with wire. The lid is made out of wire but I don't think it is that secure. I know we can secure it the only thing is it has to be a quick fix because it has to be safe for tonight. We also have chicks that are about two months old down there will rats kill them too?

Do you think there are dog pens with small enough holes in them?
    Quote:

8. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Can you post a picture of your current setup? Probably easiest to modify it to fit what you need. If they are diggin under, line the botton with a wire mesh and screw to the walls so there are no gaps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by