They know me!

NickyPick

Songster
10 Years
Sep 18, 2010
Pine Valley (New Waverly), TX
So, today, I come home from work. The brooder is set up behind the couches in the TV room and mom is usually in there most of the day (hip replacement AND a knee replacement in one year!). I say hi to her, then lean over the couch and say hey to the kids. All of the sudden, all these little heads start raising up and they start peeping up a storm.
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
Mom said they've been quiet all day. Ha. I'm not so conceited to think they really love me, but they do know that I'm the treat dispenser, so I go into the kitchen to mash up their two boiled eggs. They kept peeping like crazy - very loud - until I come back in with the dish of goodies. Of course, with 14, I can barely get the dish halfway under the cover before it's totally swarmed.

Crazy kids.
wee.gif

Last edited:
How cute! Our hens know my daughter and me and pretty much let us do anything to them.....but they want nothing to do with my husband! lol guess they know who really loves them!

yippiechickie.gif
Your in Cypress too! Yay!

Last edited:
Haha, today I came home for lunch and the babies were quiet. The minute I spoke, their necks stretched out and they started peeping. So........ they had mac'n cheese with me.
lau.gif

aw I believe that chickens feel at least a simplified form of love! My "twin" chicks, Periwinkle and Penelope, (who were supposed to be a cuckoo maran and an austrolorpe but I think are both marans), are the best of friends and they cry whenever they are separated! The same goes for my BO Calyx and my EE Amapola (who sadly may be a roo
hit.gif
), poor Calyx has a fit whenever we take Amapola out to play! and my two new babies Epiphany and HoneySuckle act just the same! They at least feel love for eachother. I think they pick favorite humans as well because tiny welsummer Epiphany seems to favor my sister while Amapola likes my mom. Calyx seems to like me which is good because shes a beauty. none of them like my 4 year old brother. hes evil.

I love the little teeny biddy stage, don't get me wrong, but my favorite is when they are half feathered ugly little things. Because that's when they really stop being afraid and start figuring out where their bread gets buttered. Mine hear the basement door open and start cheeping like crazy. I spend a lot of time handling them and fussing around, so its very rewarding when they know who you are!

I love the little teeny biddy stage, don't get me wrong, but my favorite is when they are half feathered ugly little things. Because that's when they really stop being afraid and start figuring out where their bread gets buttered. Mine hear the basement door open and start cheeping like crazy. I spend a lot of time handling them and fussing around, so its very rewarding when they know who you are!

I have two brooders. One is on the front, enclosed porch and the other is right behind me in the living room. The one on the porch has the older and first batch of chicks - 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 weeks old. Sadly, they are not very tame. I have one very inquisitive Amberlink that will come up to my hand if I hold still long enough. Of course, one sound, an imaginary movement or anything that the Brown Leghorns imagine might kill them ruins the moment. They are so flighty it's insane. The ones behind me are my EEs and BAs. They know my hand means food, so when they see it, they come running. They are afraid of me when I just walk by, though. I think it's funny and ironic how their little brains work.

love.gif

Back
Top Bottom