They laid and egg! WOOT!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gumpsgirl, Aug 7, 2008.

1. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Well, actually two of them did! Yesterday two hens laid their first eggs! [​IMG] I'm so proud of them! [​IMG] We can't eat them just yet because of the illness that we've been dealing with, but it is still exciting! Also the shell was very thin and rubbery. It looked just like the consistency of a snake egg. I'm guessing that this is from the antibiotics and vaccine they've just recently had. The bad this was that the eggs got stepped on and broke. I hope this doesn't create some egg eaters. That's all I need! I'm watching carefully this morning so I can catch them when they lay. Hopefully I can get the eggs out before they get squished! Any ideas other than the oyster shell to help strengthen the shells?

2. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Yippee! First eggs! Congratulations! I'm so glad that your girls are well enough to be laying eggs. That's awsome! How long will you have to wait before you can eat them?

I've heard that you can crush up a Tums and feed it to them for extra calcium, but I've never tried it. I think it's sorta normal for first eggs to be less than perfect.

3. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:Thank you! We won't be able to eat them until the end of Sept. [​IMG] That part stinks. They get another booster shot the beginning of Sept. After that, we will wait 4 wks. and then have an omelet party! [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Congratulations, Stacey! It's true that often the first eggs are less than perfect. Heck, Velvet laid an egg without even a membrane and laid it out in the pen. Looked like someone was trying to fry an egg on the ground. Then she waited two weeks before dropping a shell-less one off the roost. Just give them oyster shell and they'll be fine soon. Also, yogurt has some calcium and the trace minerals in DE also are said to help some. I'm sure soon you'll be getting all sorts of pretty little eggs for your basket.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  6. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:Thanks for that input! I'll be going into town tomorrow and will be picking up some oyster shell. I will also add some DE and yogurt to the diet today. [​IMG]

7. Missouri chick

Missouri chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Homer, GA
    Whoo hoo, and condratulations to you toooooo!!!!!! [​IMG]

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Good job! Guess all that praying for chickens is paying off!

9. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:I guess so! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by