They learned what a shoulder is!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Morgan7782, May 29, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    My chickens can always make me laugh and surprise me..

Today I heard a loud flutter of wings, and loud screaming from Joon, my BR. I run outside and find out her sister Munk, my EE, FLEW onto the tarp that I use in the run for rain protection and shade! It was slippery though, and slanted to keep from rain puddles, so she was slipping everywhere. I finally was able to catch her and put her back with Joon, but THEN they discovered they can fly to my shoulders! These are 9 week old pullets I am talking about! Needless to say I had two girls 'fighting' over my shoulder space, and should I remove them they would SCREAM bloody murder at me, running around to my back and looking for a way up! I am amazed they can fly that high so early! Should I worry about them getting out of my 7-8 foot yard fence?? They have plenty of food and grubs in the yard, but now I know how high they can fly, and I am surprised! I am 5'6". Don't get me wrong, I love the attention, but I was trying to add bedding to the coop and had them both vying for my shoulders! lol.

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Ah yes the human perch has been discovered. LOL Be prepared for more screaming, removing them, them running around your back and more screaming. hahahaha They love you.

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Yes you should worry about them getting over your fence!!! Clip their wings if it's dangerous for them to get out! They are actually MORE prone to flying out while they are mid-sized, coz when they get to be fat ole biddies they won't fly as much. [​IMG]

4. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Oh alright, I've heard contreversial things about wing clipping, so I wasn't sure whether to look into that or not. Is wing clipping common? I feel bad to do something like that, but I would prefer they stay in my yard because behind us there is a big dog, I am sure she has never seen chickens.. I will look up wing clipping and get educated on it! Thanks for the tip, rather safe then sorry!

P.S. It is so funny, they do run around me, looking for my back to scramble up! I feel like I am avoiding a lion, DON'T TURN YOUR BACK TO THEM! hahaha. Are BR and EE known for being flyers/flappers?? [​IMG]

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I cannot answer for the BR but one of my EEs is my only flyer so to speak. She will get up on a 6' fence to sit. speckledhen has a BR named Fern that was quite a handful and she clipped her wings I do believe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by