They like me!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Patoot, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Patoot

Patoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Something happened btwn Monday and today. The girls are suddenly less afraid and actually come up to me. Yesterday they took treats from my hands and this morning, they ran up to me when I went outside to say goodbye before work. One followed me to the door and looked sad that I left. So cute!!! They run up to me when I go to the garden to get them some tomato treats. They come to me when I cluck to them. Last night I clipped their wings. It was the first time I had touched them since I only got them 2 weeks ago and they were over 3 months when I got them. I didn't want to force it and scare them. When I clipped them, they seemed to be content while I held them and pet them. I just wanted to keep holding them!!! I really did not intend to love them. I was getting them to have access to fresh healthy eggs and that's it. I went in with the mindset that if they were too much work or I didn't like caring for them, or they cost too much, I'd give them to my friend. Nope. I can already tell I'm not going to save money even though I had to spend almost no money to get their coop ready. I'm going to spend money on treats for them. Today I am gonna get them some mealworms. How did I fall in love with chickens? They are hysterical to watch...skipping after bugs, playing keep away with the cherry tomatoes, digging for bugs...they make me laugh everyday.

How did this happen?[​IMG]

Bree

2. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to the Addicted to Chickens club!
    Yes,.. they are truly little "home entertainment systems" While others sit and watch the boob tube,.. we pull up a chair and watch our girls,. and to a chicken ,.. treats mean LOVE!

Lets see those funny chicken,.. post some photo's. We like looking at other people's chickens almost as much as looking at our own!

3. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    The same thing happened to me! My friends and family still can't believe that I have chickens, much less that I am absolutely obsessed with them! So glad they finally love you!

4. Patoot

Aug 20, 2010
    Quote:I know. Hubby keeps saying, "There's chickens in the backyard." lol

Last night he was grilling some steak and the girls kept going up to him (not too close, but they were checking him out). He's a good guy. The girls ate his hops and he still didn't get mad. They love those things. We finally figured out how to keep them away. They love them so much they were finding out how to get to them. It doesn't hurt them, but it does hurt the plant. He's got one viable vine left on that plant so we're hoping they can't get it. We wrapped it plastic along the back and put a backer on it so they can't peck through the fencing. They climbed onto the porch and a chair to get to the top and get at more leaves. Stinkers!

Bree

5. mrsbos

mrsbos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Greenacres, WA
    Add me to the list of people who never in a million years thought I'd have chickens for ANY reason, much less as beloved family pets who just happen to lay eggs and poop fertilizer. Granted, my 1 month old chicks haven't begun laying yet, but our whole family is already in love with them and probably spoils them rotten. I am, however, excited for the day they will live outside permanently. They are growing so fast and definitely feel "cooped up" in the brooder! There is always a mess of pine shavings, feathers, and other misc. dust that goes everywhere whenever we go to change their water or bring food or just take them out of their brooder box to cuddle. I love it when they want to roost on my shoulder.......but HATE getting pooped on. Wish they did that a little less often!

-Michelle
    Wife to Paul
    Mom to Brian 10, Brooke 8, Brent 4
    and 3 one month old Ameraucana chicks: Fluffy, Chickie, and Touhou

6. Patoot

Aug 20, 2010
    Here's one girl. She loved the camera...then proceeded to peck my toenails! Ouch! I think she thought they were cherry tomatoes.

[​IMG]

Bree

7. yzmike777

yzmike777 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2010
    Cedar City
    So cute! I am new to this as well but LUV my new babies! They are so fun! My hubby likes them too haha a ton and he was iffy. They pecked at my toes last weekend lol my man was out bug scouting for them and they got black crickets, my toe's were painted black so they thought they were snacks

8. bragabit

bragabit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Southern Utah
    Quote:Kristin,

I think I sold you your baby chicks. How are the little ones doing?? Mine are flying all over the place. I put a log across the brooder and they have a blast flying up and down on it.

9. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    You are supposed to say .....

Hi,

My name is Patoot and I'm a Chickoholic.

10. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Sounds to me like you have a horrible case of chickenitus. The only cure is to GET MORE CHICKENS!!!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by