They like POPCORN!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Casey3043, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Casey3043

Casey3043 Chillin' With My Peeps

We didn't finish our popcorn during TV movies last night, so this morning I took it out to the chickens. They gobbled up all the popped stuff right away, then started on the unpopped kernels in the bottom of the bowl.

I wondered whether that's how that rumor got started about the combustibility of chickens that was mentioned in the recent thread on farm insurance. The insurance company claimed that now that the policy holder had chickens, they would have to raise their rates because chickens are "combustible".

I visualized chickens pecking happily in the yard and suddenly going up in a poof of smoke. But I wonder--unpopped kernels of popcorn, when they get hot inside those chickens, well......POW!

LOL! I'll let you know tonight whether any of them exploded.

[​IMG]

2. PaulaJoAnne

PaulaJoAnne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    We use popcorn to lure back straying chickens.

3. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

If we go outside with popcorn, our girls will rip our arms out of the sockets if we don't toss it out fast enough for them...

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Just be careful! Alot of the time, popcorn is salty, and too much salt can kill a chicken. I didn't know this but a friend said when she was young, she accidentally fed her chickens some potato chips, and two of them died. Sodium is very bad for chickens......I'm sure a tiny bit can't hurt though.

5. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    We just pop it. No butter or salt on the batch to the girls. They love it too.

6. Ravishaw

Ravishaw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    i have a 2 year old...

Needless to say it didn't take long for our batch of popcorn one night to be ruined with pasta sauce.

But the next morning the hens fixed all of that.

I set out a cup of yogurt, and it was something to be feared first, then a curiosity, then a snack, and my last fleeting glimpse of the cup was obliterated as a white fluffy butt ploughed inbetween two barred rocks to get at it.

7. Casey3043

Casey3043 Chillin' With My Peeps

I just pop it in the microwave--no salt or butter. I don't buy the packets, but get the jars of Orville Redenbacher. Last night I wanted to finish up a jar because it was getting stale, so I popped too much. I knew we couldn't eat it all, and quite a bit didn't pop at all. Too dry, I guess.

Well, no chickens have "popped" out in the yard, so I guess it's OK. BTW, I don't think a couple of potato chips could kill a chicken. Mine have luncheon leftovers all the time, including a few chips, and they are fine. They also eat olives and pickles if they are left on the plates.

[​IMG]

8. Islandlife

Islandlife Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2010
    Olympia, WA
    My ladies LOVE popcorn and are more than thrilled to finish off the bottom of the bag or bowl kernals and all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by