They love playing in the hay

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cheep, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Cheep

Cheep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Sebastopol, CA
    I have a hay bale in my backyard, for the coop, but the hens just hang out there, digging burrows, etc. It's like a playground for them & now I have to rake the hay back together every so often.
    They look like they might lay their first eggs there, I'm not too upset about that.
    My question is: today, Trixie, my SLW [​IMG] (ain't she purty?)? let me pet her & she just sat down.
    I have seen more experienced BYCers mention, "squatting"or something like that - is that it? and does it mean she will lay an egg today??? LOL I gave her a good talking-to while I had her attention, & I felt deep down that she was hearing me.

2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Dang that is one beautiful hen.

As to close, yes, you are definitely getting closer. As to when, ah that is the question, but soon.

I have a lot of hay in my run too, and every so often, I 'sweep' it up into a big pile, and they tear it all apart again. Sometimes I sprinkle the pile with some grain. It really works good in the winter, if snow is coming, I will pile it up, and after the snow, I spread it out on top of the snow. My girls will then spend time outside in the fresh air. they hate to walk in fresh snow.

I think the sweeping it up, scattering it out, mixing it with poo, really makes it great stuff for the compost pile come a good clean up in the spring. Mrs.K

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  3. Cheep

Jul 17, 2010
    Sebastopol, CA
    Thanks for the reply. And, thanks for admiring Trixie [​IMG]
    What is the term for that behavior? (If there is one)
    TIA

4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    egg squat

5. Cheep

Jul 17, 2010
    Sebastopol, CA
    Thanks - very descriptive [​IMG]

6. Becky1961

Becky1961 Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    She's a pretty girl!

7. pkw

pkw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    She is absolutely beautiful.

8. Beckymca

Beckymca Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2010
    What a beautiful hen!!! I'm new and can't answer your question, but I too have a SLW, but she has no bootie, lol, Rooster was too busy. She was gifted to me about 3 weeks ago and I very much hoping her feathers grow back, now that there is no rooster and she is a lovely as your hen! Good luck with her!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by