1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

They LOVE wet crumbles, whats the deal?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Cyberous, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Cyberous

Cyberous Chillin' With My Peeps

I've been experimenting with my flock on different foods such as baby greens, Marigold petals, bugs, strawberries, cottage cheese, ect.

Greens-Ignored
    Marigold Petals-Ignored
    Cottage Cheese-Ignored
    Bugs-ok the more movement the better
    Strawberries- Love them!

And lastly Wet Crumbles, made like porridge,.. WOA,.. that ate the whole bowl in minutes!

Anyone else have this experience (understand why?), what else do they LOVE to eat?

Don

2. toyahansen

toyahansen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2009
    Chaparral, NM
    soggy cheerios, soggy cereal of any kind actually. the likes and dislikes take a while to figure out. just as with children you must experiment until you find the right combination! Good Luck![​IMG]

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My hens love their layer pellets when I throw a handful of them on the ground outside their coop. Apparently the action of throwing the feed gives it a whole new flavor. [​IMG]

4. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    chickens love the wet mash
    that is why many decades ago I formulated the
    (1 wet mash for treating coccidiosis
    using amproylium as medication
    When a chick or adult chicken is sick it will eat the medicated wet mash to fight coccidiosis
    All chicks will get one of the 9 kinds of coccidiosis one time or another in their lives.
    This will get them started on the cure faster

(2 probiotic wet mash for good gut flora
    It is the best way to feed yoguart
    then they don't waste it

If more folks would use these two methods they would have very healthy chickens
    AND less stress on their own minds

5. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    I initially started wetting crumbles to reduce waste. I wanted to feed 28% game crumbles as a portion of the layer food to boost protein and counter-act the low protein treats of veggies and starchy foods.

But the first couple times, I found out how much they really like wetted crumbles! They gobble it up like cereal. In Winter, I use hot water to wet the crumbles and you'd think they were getting a treat of oatmeal or cream of wheat! LOL

Our flocks have 20% layer pellets available 24/7 as their regular ration.

6. Redhead Hen

Redhead Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Rising Sun, Maryland
    My adult RIRs LOVE tomatoes!! They run with them and play keep away! Great fun and great entertainment!

Oh and they do eat the whole thing after they have smashed them from playing!

7. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    I tried the experiment- and they immediately chose the wet crumbles, and fell asleep on top of them all stretched out....[​IMG] now i need to try the tomatoes with my older girls....

8. Redhead Hen

Redhead Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Rising Sun, Maryland
    Oh mine are a trip with tomatoes!! Of course we toss in the ones that are too ripe for us. They are a bit soft but not rotten.

Sit down and watch them go at them![​IMG]

9. Cyberous

Cyberous Chillin' With My Peeps

Excellent,.. I always have too many tomatoes, and more often than not "find" tomatoes that got missed! [​IMG]

Don

10. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Quote:[​IMG]

Yup, putting the crumbles on my knee for them to pick off also makes them taste better. [​IMG]

To the OP: Here's one for when they are older...millet (the little seeds in inexpensive birdseed). Chicks don't seem to care for it, but adult chickens go nuts over it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by