They made it. First night! Now, how often do we change the water/food/

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickiemomeredith, Apr 29, 2011.

1. chickiemomeredith

chickiemomeredith Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    wood chips?

2. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    Only change it if they get the feed really messy, otherwise change it. Depending if you have the usual jar like waterer with the red bottom, if it's pretty full but is a bit dirty you can just swish the dirt out. With shavings just change it when it looks like it needs to be changed, too wet/poopy.

3. chickiemomeredith

Apr 28, 2011
    Yep. We've got that red bottom waterer. So far that's basically what we've done...dumped out what's gathered in the bottom an changed it a couple of times. I mean...it's only been 24 hours. But I'm one of those nervous people. haha. Thanks, Tiramisu!

4. Amyh

Amyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    I change the shavings every few days and more as they get bigger. It gets stinky very quickly, IMO. I change their water at least once a day and do the swish thing several times a day. They should always have food, so just make sure they always have some, I fill up their feeder every day and then more when they get older and are eating it more quickly.

Good luck! I just got some more chicks on Wednesday too. [​IMG]

5. chickiemomeredith

Apr 28, 2011
    Thanks, Amy. Yeah. It's a little stinky, so I think we're at that point. I haven't changed the food yet b/c it seems still pretty full since we first got them Thurs. YOu think they're eating enough? I see them over at it all the time...lil piglets. Haha. But I wonder if we just filled it so full that it hasn't needed? You said once a day. We change the water pretty often, so I'm not worried about that. I know the shavings are ready, but now I'm wondering about the food. Huh.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by