They made it!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hoosierfarmgirl, Mar 28, 2009.

1. hoosierfarmgirl

hoosierfarmgirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Last night I went to bed so worried about where my chicks were( they were due to arrive on Friday, but didn't)--at 1:00 in the morning today, the post office in nearby Fort Wayne called to say my chicks were THERE! They were able to put them on a truck to my post office, and they called me before 7:00 this morning. All chicks are healthy and doing fine! I ordered 12, and received 21! Oh, brother! One seems to be sort of spraddle-legged. I'm hoping this will improve??? I'm keeping watch on my babies, and my big baby, Scout the German Shorthair, is nervously watching them, too! I'm so relieved they made it and all seem to be doing so well. I ordered from IDEAL, by the way.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The butterscotch-colored ones are the roosters...any ideas what kind they are?

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Every once in awhile, the P.O. does come through!

That's fantastic that they got there okay! [​IMG]

3. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Yay! Congrats on the new babies! They are just adorable.

I have no experience with spraddle leg - but I know I've seen several posts about it. Maybe try using the BYC search and search for it? I know there are several threads on the subject.

Best of luck with those babies! Enjoy them!

Penny

4. Kezzie

Kezzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Coastal Georgia
    They're beautiful! I know that there are some things that you can do to correct spraddle leg. I think there are several threads with the info.

5. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    They are so cute and to get to get 10 extra wow [​IMG]

6. hoosierfarmgirl

hoosierfarmgirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    The chicks all made it through their first day. I spent so much time watching them and worrying over every little thing. One was sleeping too much. A few seemed to be pasting up. Each time, I jumped on my computer to read an appropriate posting from BYC, and each time felt reasurred. We survived the night with no casualties and everyone seems to be doing well! Thanks, everyone, for all the help!

I'm a little worried about cleaning "pasty butts." I want to be sure to be gentle enough, but still clean them off well. I'm using warm water, and today, I put on some mineral oil to keep things from sticking (as I read on the site yesterday.)

My spraddle-legged girl, who was only slightly so, is doing so much better today!

By the way, my babies are 3 Buff Orpingtons (only ordered 2) , 1 Black Australorp, 1 Ameraucana ( I think, although I ordered 2), 2 Golden Wyandottes, 2 Feather-legged Cuckoo Marans, 2 Golden Campines (hubby's picks--look the most like pheasants!), 1 Golden Lakenvelder--all pullets. Then--the rest were packing peanuts, 9 roosters! The look like they could be RIR's. I don't really have room for them, so I think I'll be looking for farms for them when they grow up some!

Still so excited I can hardly stand it! Spring break is over and I have to go back to teaching 1st grade tomorrow! I'm sure I'll be sharing pics with my students!
    [​IMG]
    img][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The cats are pretty curious!

7. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    That's great news! Your doing great! I really do understand your worrying - I honestly did not get a good night's sleep the entire time I had my chicks in the house in a brooder. I was up and down each night checking the brooder temperature, checking for pasty butts, and just worrying over every single one of those babies. At two weeks old, we put them in the coop - and I was out there in the middle of the night the first few nights too. My husband finally said "Would you just let those little chicks sleep a little???" I realized he was right. It's hard not to worry though.

Now I have two broodies with chicks of their own, and I spend a lot of time out there fussing over them and making sure everyone is ok. But it is a MAJOR relief to let the mamas do most of the worrying [​IMG]

Enjoy those babies - they are just too cute! And I bet your students are going to get a big kick out of the pictures!

Take care,
    Penny

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by