they made my new quail blind?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by tarek, Jan 11, 2014.

1. tarek

tarek Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2014
    have 2 questions please
    1.had a male and female quail used to lay 1 egg a day,thought why not buy another 2 more females to lay more eggs a day,and when i did,no quail laid egg anymore even the old one,what went wrong,what should i do??????
    2,i bought another 2 male and female white quail and put them in a cage with the other 4 brown ones,found the next morning that the white ones where blind,the brown ones picked their eyes????
    plz answer

2. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    You've added new quail to an established cage.You should always when introducing new quail to your covey,put all birds into a new pen that neither have been in before.
    In N.H.,Tony.

1 person likes this.
  3. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

X2

4. tarek

tarek Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2014
    i tried putting them in a new box all together....
    yet next morning found the same quail is spelling blood from its eyes,nothing changed they kept attacking him??

5. dc3085

You need to euthanize the aggressive bird. or put in a different cage. Sometimes quail just go aggressive and once that happens there is little you can do to change it.

6. tarek

tarek Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2014
    Thanks for your reply
    what i meant is that the old squils are only aggressive towards the newly bought quails...
    the old ones that are in the cage are all right and not causing any damages to each other
    only to the new ones....

7. dc3085

Quail develop a social structure and they don't like you messing with it. What I would do if I was trying to mix two groups is keep their cages side by side for a couple weeks then one night move all them together into a new cage (wait to do it until a couple hours after dark) at night quail don't see well and wont fight, the next morning thing are usually just fine.

1 person likes this.
  8. pheasantworld9

pheasantworld9 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2013
    Very interesting!

9. Cots do not like change. Freaks em out. That's why they stopped laying. Best advice was already given. From now on remember to integrate into a completely new coop all at the same time. It's a good idea to keep a "bachelors quarters" ready for stuff just like what happened to you. Here is a bachelors coop I made out of pallets.
    [​IMG]
    Wish ya the best!

1 person likes this.
  10. rlphtvr

rlphtvr Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2014
    Cool coop Charm! Thanx for the idea!! Does it have a loft? Lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by