They make such a mess.... grrrr

FLchook

Songster
12 Years
Oct 27, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Ok, my flock is wasting WAY too much food.
somad.gif
They are probably eating about 1/4-1/2 of what I put out. The rest goes onto the ground, which they won't eat and leaves a huge mess for me. Not to mention potential for mold.

Sooo.... any suggestions
hu.gif

My husband is almost finished making me an automatic feeder that has zero feed waste. I asked in a thread what everyones favorite feeder was. I'll find the link.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=535997

He built me a feeder almost identical to post 10 in my thread! We need to add the bottom lid made/installed and we are done. We installed the feeder outside the coop and cut a space where they eat for the inside part. It's a huge space saver and the feeder holds 50# of feed.

Last edited:
ya, know what you mean, I started putting only enough out to last about 3/4 of the day, then they have to clean up the spilled food under the feeder. Attracts alot of flies, too!!

barnie.gif

Quote:
That would be great, I'm tired of feeding all the pigeons,doves, and sparrows in the city! then they hang around and eat all the fruit off the trees.

I keep feed out for my chickens at all times and I went through the same thing that you are going through until I switched feeder types. I was using the round feeders that hold twenty pounds of feed but the chickens were raking it out on the ground more than eating it. I switched to a feeder type called a range feeder. It is rectangular in shape and is approx. 4 inches wide and 36 inches long. It has a long bar that runs the length of the feeder and mounts loosely in the top middle of the feeder which allows the bar to spin if they try to get on top of the feeder. This keeps them from roosting and pooping in it. It comes with legs but I hang mine by attaching wire from the top holes on each side of the feeder to the ceiling this allows to adjust to the correct height for the breed. There are three sets of holes you can mount the bar to and I always mount the bar in the bottom holes to make it harder for the chickens to waste feed. Using these there is less than a tablespoon per day wasted in each pen as long as u dont overfill them. We never fill them past 1 inch from the top. They are twenty dollars at tractor supply and about the same at the local farmers co op.

Quote:
This is what I used and I seen a big difference in the messes. I have mine sitting on the floor. Plan to get another this weekend for my silkies.

My feeder is hanging from a roof truss in the coop...about chest high of my hens. Zero feed mess...hope this helps!

Also, it's a 30lbs metal feeder, so I only have to fill it every three weeks or so!
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom