They moved themselves in...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HighNDryFarm, Sep 12, 2011.

1. HighNDryFarm

HighNDryFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    I've never had a group of young chickens just move themselves into the big girls coop but tonight when I went out to close everyone up, one of 9 of my 2 month old Polish was on top of the coop with my EE Roo. I'm thinking that's odd since that one is a girl (I've had a couple of the boys try to join the roo)....then I realize she's kind of lost. So I get her down, put her in the smaller coop I have for the young ones and I realize that it's empty! I look in the big coop and there they are, all nestled on the lower roost I put in the for "jr's" that they never used. Went back and got the lost one and put her on the ramp up to find her spot. I've never had 9 chickens in one night, move themselves into the big coop! They free range all day and share a run with my other chickens but they've always gone in their own coops at night....

We're in the process of building them their own coop...guess we better get busy. I hope they like their new digs because I think this group is a little picky about their house!

2. MassivelyScrambled

MassivelyScrambled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Northern California
    Cool! They can occasionally surprise us can't they?! LOL

3. HighNDryFarm

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    Of course, I wanted to move them straight from thier small coop into thier new coop when it's ready, otherwise they would have never moved![​IMG] Took me three nights of moving chickens with the last group and these 9 just pick up thier fluffy little heads and move in!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Bigdaddys'smom, I think the young'un's realized the adult coop had cable.

5. HighNDryFarm

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    Quote:SHHHHHHHH![​IMG]

6. kaybats

kaybats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Quote:Occasionally? I get surprised at least once or twice every day...sometimes more!!!! [​IMG]

I LOVE it!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by