They need how many hours of light to lay?????

lagpmgdsls

Songster
10 Years
Apr 6, 2009
I know the answer but...

when I went out to give my quail fresh water bottles (or should I say unfrozen) today, one of them had laid an egg. I am in CT where we are not even getting close to 14 hrs of light a day......

very easy....

I didn't really have to teach them. I just hang water bottles on the cage and they are so curious that it just takes one to go over and see what the shiney drip is. The others follow. I usually switch them to the water bottle at about 2 weeks of age.

Quote:
POP IT IN THE BATOR AND SEE IF ITS FERTILE? I DOUBT IT, BUT INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW
smile.png

MANY WILL STILL LAY THE ODD EGG EVEN WITHOUT THE REQUIRED DAYLIGHT, BUT FERTILITY WILL BE DEPLORABLE ( ITS THAT WHOLE MOOD LIGHTING AND ROMANCE THING?) AND THE LAYING RATE WILL BE LOW. BUT DO TRY AND LET US KNOW WHAT COMES OF IT! ME, I'M A SLAVE DRIVER! GOT 'EM UNDER 16+ HRS OF LIGHT WITH AN EMPTY EGG CARTON ON 1 SIDE OF THE PEN AND A CROCK POT ON THE OTHER JUST FOR MOTIVATION.... HE HE

it was frozen and cracked so I just chucked it into the woods..no bator for this egg,

I have my birds all on bottles. The chickens were about 4 months old but the quail were younger. I would squeeze the bottle a little so it dripped and they figured it out really quickly. They had a harder time with the spring loaded ones but got use to the ones without springs very quickly.

I'M A SLAVE DRIVER! GOT 'EM UNDER 16+ HRS OF LIGHT WITH AN EMPTY EGG CARTON ON 1 SIDE OF THE PEN AND A CROCK POT ON THE OTHER JUST FOR MOTIVATION

gig.gif

As for bottles, I have even got ducks to use them, but they still need to be able to dunk their heads. The water bottle was great for overnight though.​

Back
Top Bottom