They need how many hours of light to lay?????

Discussion in 'Quail' started by lagpmgdsls, Dec 30, 2009.

1. lagpmgdsls

lagpmgdsls Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    I know the answer but...

when I went out to give my quail fresh water bottles (or should I say unfrozen) today, one of them had laid an egg. I am in CT where we are not even getting close to 14 hrs of light a day......

2. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    that'sawesome..how do you teach them to drink from water bottles?

3. lagpmgdsls

Apr 6, 2009
    very easy....

I didn't really have to teach them. I just hang water bottles on the cage and they are so curious that it just takes one to go over and see what the shiney drip is. The others follow. I usually switch them to the water bottle at about 2 weeks of age.

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:POP IT IN THE BATOR AND SEE IF ITS FERTILE? I DOUBT IT, BUT INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW [​IMG]

MANY WILL STILL LAY THE ODD EGG EVEN WITHOUT THE REQUIRED DAYLIGHT, BUT FERTILITY WILL BE DEPLORABLE ( ITS THAT WHOLE MOOD LIGHTING AND ROMANCE THING?) AND THE LAYING RATE WILL BE LOW. BUT DO TRY AND LET US KNOW WHAT COMES OF IT! ME, I'M A SLAVE DRIVER! GOT 'EM UNDER 16+ HRS OF LIGHT WITH AN EMPTY EGG CARTON ON 1 SIDE OF THE PEN AND A CROCK POT ON THE OTHER JUST FOR MOTIVATION.... HE HE

5. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Post a pic or send me a private pic... I gotta see this!!!

6. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    I Alway Say 16 Hours, To Be Sure. But most will lay with as little as 12 hrs.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  7. lagpmgdsls

Apr 6, 2009
    it was frozen and cracked so I just chucked it into the woods..no bator for this egg,

8. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Quote:I tried this, they never touched the bottle, ever. [​IMG]

9. quailbrain

quailbrain Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Oregon
    I have my birds all on bottles. The chickens were about 4 months old but the quail were younger. I would squeeze the bottle a little so it dripped and they figured it out really quickly. They had a harder time with the spring loaded ones but got use to the ones without springs very quickly.

10. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I'M A SLAVE DRIVER! GOT 'EM UNDER 16+ HRS OF LIGHT WITH AN EMPTY EGG CARTON ON 1 SIDE OF THE PEN AND A CROCK POT ON THE OTHER JUST FOR MOTIVATION

[​IMG]

As for bottles, I have even got ducks to use them, but they still need to be able to dunk their heads. The water bottle was great for overnight though.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by