1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

They not only have a coop, but a SHELTER as well.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ~GoneWild~, Apr 5, 2012.

1. ~GoneWild~

~GoneWild~ Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    [​IMG]

So my chickens have a very basic chicken coop meant only for sleeping and being kept safe and dry while doing so.. SO beings I live in the Pacific Norwest, we've an abundance of rain and I don't like for them to be all sad and soggy therefor the inexpensive fix of the creative thinker!
    I had two doghouses lifelessly laying around and a VERY limited budget. So this is the end result.

[​IMG]

A couple of 2X4's drilled to the top of these bad boys and layered 4 wooden slats on top of them to form a more structuraly sound roof. That's currogated tin up top. Folded some across the back too then covered the bottom of the back-side with an 8ft peice of very heavy wood we had laying around..

[​IMG] Not the most beautiful thing in the world, but my chickens sure do appreciate it! Only 37 dollars! [​IMG]

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Smart thinking! :thumbsup

3. SouthernAlberta

SouthernAlberta Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    Canada - Garden Zone 3
    Do they perch in one and lay in the other? Will chickens sort themselves out in that way?

4. Great idea!!! Cheap is good! Now I feel foolish making my $500 coop and run.... LOL Do you have any predator issues?

5. mcjessen

mcjessen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Coeur d Alene ID
    Great job!

Being in the PNW (N ID) also, I know your rain woes. We registered the most rainfall ever for the month of March. Something like 8 inches. It's been crazy wet here. Supposed to see some sun this weekend. We can't wait!!

6. ~GoneWild~

Jul 25, 2011
    Yes, we have an ABUNDANCE of predators, mostly coyotes and raccoons and HAWKS. I had 3 geese that would prove to be wonderful watch dogs but they make ALOT of noise and I sold them... wouldn't you know it a few weeks later AFTER I let my chickens out (this morning actually) two coyotes decided they'd have a Jersey Giant feast... They tried to get my rooster but he's too quick and booked it up to the house screaming the whole way.. that's how I knew something was wrong.. OTHER than that the coop works great, I don't have any issues there.. but I WAS NOT expecting those dang coyotes to strike in the day time! They got my hen at 8:40 this morning! My mom chased them away but it was too late for my hen.. the stupid coyotes wouldn't even run all the way away! They'd just run a few feet away from my mom and then turn around and look at her. I called my buddy, he's got a 22-- that's my solution to predation. Sorry to those who may think it's mean but when coyotes stop being scared of people they're then a threat. I let my chickens free range on our 51/2 acres in the day time even though they have a 100 plus square foot enclosure to roam with their coop and shelter... free range helps cut down on feed. [​IMG] plus it's much healthier. I'm sorry you spent so much on your coop? LOL, I'm CHEAP and don't have that kind of money to spend on a fancy coop... Here's my coop-- [​IMG] It has wooden slats that you can't really see for roosting, they have a metal shelving unit to nest in and also the hay barn..

[​IMG] My kids in this pin are 3 and 4 months old.. with my 7 month old sweet rooster named Junior (not pictured) these are my 4 month old welsummer girls-- they're soooo friendly!

7. ~GoneWild~

Jul 25, 2011
    My other chickens don't like to roost in the pin they like a nice quiet place AWAY from the other chickens-- typically they go in the carport between two bales of hay.. or in the hay barn. My girls in this pin won't lay eggs for a nother couple months yet.. but they will figure it out.. they have ALOT of places where they can lay eggs.. in or out of their pin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by