they only laid twice

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by blahdi, Dec 21, 2008.

1. blahdi

blahdi New Egg

Dec 8, 2008
    we have 2 white crested bearded polish chickens. We got them about 3-4 weeks ago. where we live its currently chilly and sometimes rainy.
    Our chickens have laid 2 eggs in total, a couple of days apart, but havent laid in at least 2 weeks.
    Someone told us that chickens lay less in the wintry season, is that possible? Or could their eggs be stuck or something?
    i'm very new at chickens, so any tips would be appreciated.

2. Crazy_For_Chickens

Crazy_For_Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Minnesota
    Yes, it is true that some breeds of chickens do not lay in the winter season. So all that I would do is wait for spring to come. If they had egg problems their bellies would drag on the ground.

Hope this helps,
    CFC

3. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    It is certainly not surprising for hens to cease laying after a move. Just throwing them a little off their feed will result in slowed production. Eggs develop from surplus nutrients.

Cold weather requires more feed and decreasing hours of light inhibits laying.

I think you may have 3 things working against you: a move, low temperatures, & loss of light. Your hens may also be in moult - feathers on the floor in the coop?

Make sure that they are getting enough to eat and that their diet is providing necessary nutrients. Don't worry about production until "we get this sun turned around. [​IMG]" Oh, I guess that's today [​IMG]!!

Steve

4. lisebarb

lisebarb Chillin' With My Peeps

They Only Laid Twice - sounds like the title of a Bond film [​IMG]
    Sorry, couldn't resist.

I'm fairly new too but from what I've been learning here, hens tend to slow down their "production" over the winter due to lack of sunshine.

Are your girls getting enough light? I had to add a couple of 25 watt lights to my coop to see any eggs. I put the lights on a time so they come on around 6am and shut off at 8am when the sun's fully up.

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Until they get use to their new surroundings and if you have changed their feed or feed schedule, they can and will stop laying for awhile til they get use to everything again. Sometimes it takes months plus winter has set in and alot of breeds don't lay well in winter. It can be something as simple as a new nestbox or where it is kept.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by