1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

They pecked a hole in the egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Charlene, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Charlene

Charlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    Oh no. This morning I saw two new eggs, but I was rushing out so I didn't pick them up. When I got back, one had a hole pecked into it. About 1/8 of the eggshell was missing but the white and yolk were still there.

Are they becoming eggs eaters??? I so hope not. My chickens are so good and I'd hate to have to "do something about it".

I have 2 barred rocks, just coming a year old, and I have 3 4 month olds. I don't know who did it. Among the new ones there's young boy that will leave enventually. Coudl ti have been him?

My chickens free range and they have free feed laying pellets and srcatch.

Help!

2. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    more than not it was the roo they will eat eggs as soon as they can. mine do if the can get to them

3. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Just wanted to say [​IMG] because I don't think I have yet.

It might be worth your time to start providing oyster shell free choice along with the laying pellets and scratch. The oyster shell will provide them with the calcium they need so that they are less tempted to become egg eaters. It's okay to provide it free choice because the hens instinctively know how much they need.

I don't think you have egg eaters yet, but you do have a situation that might need watching. Just my thoughts...

See you around the forum! [​IMG]

4. ItsSuzzie

ItsSuzzie Chillin' With My Peeps

I have heard it said that chickens know that their eggs taste good. I have a coupe of RIR that are pecking holes.

I am supprised to hear that they left the yoke and white. My chickens gobble that right up.

Gona watch this post for the answer. One person told me that they may need more feed that I give them. The RIR's do seem to gobble it up fast.

Wish they would stop this behaviour though. Rooster appears to be doing his Rooster duties and I would love to hatch these eggs. Guess I have to spy on them more.

When you catch the culprit, please post if it is a Hen or a Roo.

5. Charlene

Charlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    I will add the oyster shell today. Their shells have always been very thick so I didn't think they needed it, but maybe they want more. I'll keep you posted.

6. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Mine do this every once in awhile. I give them a "talking to" and that seems to stop it for a few days [​IMG]

7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Definitely add oyster shell. Also, put some fake eggs or golf balls in the nest boxes; once they try to peck a hole and can't, they'll soon get out of the habit. Once the habit starts, it's VERY difficult to get them stopped!

(ItsSuzzie - chickens should have feed available all the time, 24/7. They will eat what they need.)

Good luck!

8. ItsSuzzie

ItsSuzzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey, thanks for the notation!!

I usually feed in the am each day and treats about three times a week at lunch time...oneish.

I have those fake wooden eggs, that should work. Good idea. I have that talkin to my girls too. I think the other birds, the neighbors are listening and the RIR just go against the flow.

In all fairness, the RIR are new layers, maybe they are going, hey, what is that, it hurt. lol These girls are kind of comical. I watched them walking around, I noticed one I thouht did not feel well. Kinda walking funny...then poof, she dropped and egg. She was still standing. Forget the nest, these little ones have no clue about a nest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by