1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

They picked the roost they like best

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by geekgurl, May 13, 2011.

1. geekgurl

geekgurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    So I just got my pullets a week ago and have been trying to get them to roost in the evening. They had been piling in the corner on the floor and I would go out after they were asleep and put them on the roost. Well, last night they got on the roost themselves, but then decided that there was a better place to roost.

First three of them tried it out for size
    [​IMG]

Then the fourth clamored up there.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally they spread out and fell asleep.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I took the pics with a wireless IP cam(Foscam FI8918W) I have setup in there that has night vision. That's why the color is so off.

Cheers,
    Melissa

2. awwww that is so cute.

3. lvchicken

lvchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    AWWWW!!!!! So CUTE!!!! [​IMG]

4. lynnolekas

lynnolekas Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2010
    Melissa ~ That's funny! What kind of girls are those? I have one that looks exactly like yours -
    I have no idea what she is though - but she is sweet!
    I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the chicky cam!

Thanks for the info -

Lynn

[​IMG]

5. geekgurl

geekgurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Thank you for the sweet comments. [​IMG]
    Lynn, it's kinda hard to see in the pic,but the one standing in the first pic is a cuckoo marans. The other three are a blue ameraucana, a blue copper marans and an olive egger . The olive egger and the ameraucana are a bit difficult to tell apart as they look the same.

I've had to remove the sidebeams as they just would not go to roost by themselves.

Cheers,
    Melissa

6. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    I love that! They have the best of both worlds: they're up off the floor but they can still pile up. I can't help but smile when one of my 20-week old pullets still tries to burrow under the others on the perch. Invariably she knocks somebody off then gets put in her place. She's a silly snuggler, that one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by