They poop soooo much!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JennsPeeps, Mar 19, 2009.

1. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I forgot how much fecal matter a single chick can produce in the span of 5 minutes. It's truly astounding. I've been letting the week-old chicks (just 2 of them) snuggle with me at night while I watch TV. I use a towel to catch da poo, but it's still shocking how much they do doo doo.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Try ducks for higher volume, velocity, and a longer trajectory. :)

3. sandy sea

sandy sea Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Gavilan Hills, CA
    Yes they do.

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Bluck... my barred rock can beat even a sling shot for trajectory. That bird has foot-long watery poos (she's fine as far as I can tell) that squirt & make noise every time she poops. It's nasty.

5. BeardedChick

Yeah, imagine a 3 day old duckling doing that. There's a reason they are not lap ducklings.

[​IMG]

6. TheRidingLibrarian

TheRidingLibrarian Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2009
    Fellsmere, FL
    You guys are funny! [​IMG]

It was suggested by some on the forum for me to get my gals out of their brooder some as they are getting bigger and the brooder isn't. Since it was too dark to go outside, I just let them loose, a group at a time, into the living room. I have a an old, very not-fancy hard wood floor, so I couldn't care less if they make a bit of a mess for me to clean up.

WOW![​IMG] I really underestimated how much they poop too! But they had fun and got some exercise so it's all good. Think I'll make it a point to get them outside earlier though. [​IMG]

7. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    I put down an old vinyl tablecloth on the (carpeted) bathroom floor for mine to play on. Works like a charm, but there is always someone on patrol to quickly wipe up after the chicks so we don't have any skidders.

8. BeardedChick

Skidders! Hahahaha! [​IMG]

9. Did you really say do doo doo ?

10. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    My Barred Rocks make golf ball-sized perfectly round plops...and hubby is constantly bringing in golf balls, so the all white ones are hysterical decoys!

My chicks are ploppers, though...it is alarming how one forgets the astounding quantity...it must be an auto-amnesia, like forgetting the pain of childbirth so that we actually procreate again...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by