They put themselves to bed!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Linda in San Diego, May 27, 2008.

1. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Whoo Hooo! Sunset was 7:54, temp is 58 F, and the Delightful Dozen were all in bed at 7:56!!! No chasing, luring, teasing to have them go in! I decided to leave the pop door open for a little longer while they settle in.

The girls are growing and learning!

2. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Bravo!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

4. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    by the way, were they outside? How old are they>?

5. lovemychicks9

lovemychicks9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Isn't that just the absolute best feeling in the world when you go out to tuck them in and they are in bed already?? Makes me feel like I have taught them something and they feel safe. Yippee!!! Makes me wanna do a happy dance when it happens! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Mine put themselves to bed, all the big girls never had a problem, the babies we had to keep putting up on the roost - they started putting themselves up on the roost 2 nights ago - and tonight one of the babies was squished in between two BIG girls [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I think they LIKE each other!

7. lovemychicks9

lovemychicks9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Wildsky how old are your girls now? And do they all sleep mixed together? [​IMG]

8. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    My Delightful Dozen are 5 weeks old, they are in a run/coop area all day and doing quite well.

I guess the next step is roosting. There are plenty of roosting spaces available but they are all huddled in the corner together despite the heatlamp that is quite closeby.

One of them was on a roost this morning when I opened the pop door, so maybe pretty soon.

It does feel like I taught them something, and as a teacher of preteens, that is a good feeling!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by