They quit laying!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Back40, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Back40

Back40 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2009
    I have 20 Australorps... during the latest cold snap here in Florida (27 to 32 degrees for about a week; o.k., not much winter, I get it!), my hens went from about 15 +/- eggs per day, to 8 per day two weeks ago, to only two eggs over the last 4 days... what's up with this? Their coop is enclosed, and they're very happy hens, well cared for, with plenty of daytime room to roam. They're less than one year old, have been great layers, then this... any help out there? Any way to boost them back?

2. Cornychick

Cornychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Sebastian County, AR
    do they have lights?

3. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    Are they about to moult?

4. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    I went from 37 to 6 eggs when the cold spell hit us, but they are picking up again, now that it is warming up. My kids picked up 30 yesterday.

5. Back40

Sep 2, 2009
    Well, they don't have artificial lights; might that help? It has warmed up over the last couple of days, but still no eggs... Maybe I just need to give 'em a little time to 're-coop'erate from the freezing weather, I guess. Thanks for all replies...

6. Back40

Sep 2, 2009
    I'm not sure if they're about to moult... could be that. This is my first year with chickens in Florida... when I lived up north, they didn't quit laying in the winter, though it was much colder then. They decreased, but didn't stop like these have. Are there indicators that they may be about to moult?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by