They quit laying!!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by fishnet1971, May 23, 2012.

1. 8 girls, just at 2 years old. healthy as far as I know! spoiled rotten. Always left me an egg a day. Red Sex Links. Down to 1 or 2 eggs a day!!! Even my EE has not left me an egg in4 days. WHAT THE HECK????????

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hi there! Could they be molting? Did you change anything in the coop? Something new going on, like did you get a new dog or the neighbors get a new dog?

Could something be stealing their eggs? Or someone?

3. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Crowing

Jan 12, 2012
    X2 above, they could also be starting up right now. Egg laying schedules could be different, I'm pretty sure it takes 12-24 hours for a egg to form and the hen to lay it. So they could be mixing up their laying times. In the summer though, they should be laying like crazy!

4. Normally they are laying like nuts now! It's their second year laying, so I didnt think it was age. Found out last night as i picked my EE up to make sure she wasnt having a problem, after a HANDFUL of feathers came out in my hands that she is molting. Nothing stealing the eggs as far as I know. The Taj ma hal is fool proof. Nothing ever getting in or out, unless a chipmunk or squirrel during the day. No snakes. Nothing at night ever. They do lay on a wierd time schedule. normally a few in the am, a few in the afternoon. So i have:
    1 EE molting - excused.
    1 roo, - excused!!!!!! lol
    1 old timer - excused
    2 Cochins - still getting one every few days
    1 RSL sick - excused
    4 RSL only 2 eggs and 1 very thin shelled that breaks most of the time....

hmmmm..... after looking at that, maybe they are just slowing down a little. OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I JUST NEED MORE BABIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: