1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

they sleep in the grass

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stonewall460, Oct 4, 2012.

1. stonewall460

stonewall460 New Egg

Oct 4, 2012
    iv got two 2-1/2 month old hens that we just moved to their permanent coop. its been three nites now and they have spent them sleeping outside in the run. it hasn't gotten too cold overnight yet but it will soon. they are in and out of the coop all day so i don't think they're scared of it. any tips on encouraging them to sleep inside?

2. jenifry

jenifry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    South Dakota
    After they fall asleep, "steal" them. Go out and put them in the coop, and make sure they wake up there. Do it a night or two in a row, and they should get the idea. My dad says that you HAVE to do that, or they look for the last place they slept. He moved all his chicks (about 35) into a new coop with his hens during the day and tore down the chick run. In the middle of the night, he went outside, and all 35 were sleeping in a huddle in the exact place their chick pen had been the night before. He thought they were big enough they couldn't get out of the fence. [​IMG]

3. stonewall460

stonewall460 New Egg

Oct 4, 2012
    thanks im going to try that right now

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by