They Squatted!!!!! How Long Now???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wsdareme, Sep 27, 2010.

1. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    I'm so excited! [​IMG]

Two of the girls started squatting this weekend! I've been patiently waiting for eggs (okay, so maybe not so patiently). Can anyone tell me about how long it will be before I can expect eggs? [​IMG]

P.S. - They're 20 weeks old today.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  2. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Soon! May be tomorrow, may be 2 weeks.

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    They will lay in exactly 6 days, 5 hours and 37 minutes from the first squat. Hope you kept track of the time it happened! [​IMG] Sorry just couldn't resist [​IMG] I am waiting for the first egg too and it is soooooooooooo hard to wait! Mine are about 19 weeks old and I keep listening for the egg song and walking up on them to see if they will squat and nothing yet!!! [​IMG]

4. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    My girl squatted for the first time yesterday too!! It is awesome isn't it! I was so excited I probably woke the neighborhood up yelling "SHE IS SQUATTING!" lol lol

Today she was arranging bedding in the coop for a nest.

I have heard anywhere from a few days after squatting to 2 weeks. Hopefully sooner rather then later! My girl is 28ish weeks now [​IMG] CONGRATS!

5. Samilitant

Samilitant Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I just got my first egg today--never saw a bird squatting, never any egg-songs. The only signs I had were 1; The nest boxes with golf balls in them were being made up(scratched into a bowl shape rather than flat layer of straw), and 2; I heard a longer than usual "awwwww .. awwwwww" sound come from the one laying the egg(pretty sure anyway based on knowing her voice) about an hour or two before I found the egg. Really no big signs otherwise, so just keep checking the coop!

6. pontoosuc

pontoosuc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Richmond, MA
    Four of my sixteen have been squatting for about 3 weeks. They are all 19 weeks old. No eggs yet!

7. linben

linben Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Mine laid 3 days after her first squat.[​IMG]

8. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    mines been squatting all week the last one to give me an egg. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] and today she was practicing with the voice and everything, she was sitting on someone elses egg [​IMG] I told her if she didn't lay she was going to be soup [​IMG] she was trying to fool me.[​IMG]

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

My GSLs have been squatting for at least a week, and no eggs yet!

10. Cavendish Chickens

Cavendish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    Okay, I am new to this.... What exactly is squatting? Is it when they lower themselves to the ground, kind of bouncing there? Or is it just a certain way they sit? Mine haven't done this yet. They are still young. They will be 4 months on the 12th. I'd like to know anything and everything I should be watching, looking, and listening for. I've learned about the "egg song" yesterday, and about the combs turning bright red and flopping over. Now squatting? What is it, and is there anything else?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by