They Squatted.....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by vachicks, May 17, 2010.

1. vachicks

vachicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2010
    Virginia
    I was shooing my girls in their coop this morning and 2 squatted when I did [​IMG] I'm gonna have some [​IMG] (eggs) soon. I have been wondering when they would lay, they are RIR's and pretty good sized girls. I picked the first one up when she squatted and petted her, the other one was kinda beside/behind me and I couldn't get myself around quick enough to hold her. I'm so excited we have had them for over a month and they are at least 25 weeks, probably more. [​IMG] I hope they lay soon I can't wait.

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    It shouldn't be long!!! [​IMG]

3. vachicks

Apr 23, 2010
    Virginia
    Quote:ummm, just how long is "shouldn't be long"????[​IMG]

4. yomama

yomama Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Sorry if this sounds naive, but what do you mean that by walking up to them, they squatted, and that means they are going to start laying eggs? My chickens, who have already been laying eggs, do this occasionally (squat on the ground if I approach them suddenly), but they have been laying eggs for over a year.

5. vachicks

Apr 23, 2010
    Virginia
    Quote:Sorry if this sounds naive, but what do you mean that by walking up to them, they squatted, and that means they are going to start laying eggs? My chickens, who have already been laying eggs, do this occasionally (squat on the ground if I approach them suddenly), but they have been laying eggs for over a year.

I read on this forum that if you reach for them and they squat that means they are ready to breed (with a rooster) which means they will be laying soon. (in my own words)

6. vachicks

Apr 23, 2010
    Virginia
    Well 2 days since the squatting no eggs yet. I had one that went in a corner all by herself today and stayed for a long time but I guess she was just taking a dust bath, then one went up in the nesting box but came back down w/o laying! darn teases....

7. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    [​IMG] I hate to burst your bubble but squatting dosen't mean they are ready the lay eggs. It only means they are submissive to you. Everyone of my hens do this and they have been laying for years. They enjoy being picked up the petted. [​IMG]

8. chooniecat

chooniecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    its a submissive posture on chickens part.

9. vachicks

Apr 23, 2010
    Virginia
    Quote:well heck:rolleyes: I searched squatting and read that meant they were ready to breed and would be laying eggs soon......[​IMG] Oh well, they are all pretty red in the comb and waddles, even the eyes, shouldn't be long now;)

10. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    I don't know if I agree, its been my experience (along with a combination of other things: red comb, typical maturity rate of the breed, etc) that the first time you see a chicken squatting for you corresponds pretty closely (within a week or two) with my pullet laying her first egg. She's showing that she's ready to breed and is the mounting posture she'll show to a rooster (well, if she likes the guy [​IMG])

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by