1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

They still seem so little

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TLWR, May 26, 2016.

1. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I have a lavendar orp and a gold laced cochin (not a bantam). The lav is 4 weeks old. The cochin is 3 weeks old.

They are growing. Slowly. So very slowly.
    I don't recall any other chicks I've raised to grow so slowly.

I've had issues with this batch. first lav died within 24 hours, first blue cochin died in less than a week and an egyptian fayoumis died in less than another week.
    First lav was hatched the day I picked her up and I attribute her loss to just didn't do well after hatch and didn't make it.
    The cochin - no clue what that was, she had pasty butt for a short while (like just over night) and it was fine and then she died
    the egyptian - i think that was failure to thrive. Poor baby just never could stay warm either.

It's been about a week and a half now and hopefully I'm done losing birds.

A few people suggested the cochin died due to cocci, so everybody was treated and then the egyptian died. I don't think any of this was cocci.
    But does corid at such a young age slow their growth at all?

They have been brooded outside from day one. It has been 85 during the day here and 50s/60s at night. They run around supervised for an hour or more at a time usually 2x a day. They sleep in a great dane sized kennel with light on the porch with sand (was towels). They spend the days in the yard in a 6x3 "pen" when they aren't running around while supervised.

My last 2 girls (picked up end of Feb) were fully feathered at 4 weeks and much bigger.
    The slower feathering I'm guessing is due to heat (or boys or who knows, hopefully not roos).

I have an orpington and don't recall her being this small. Never had a cochin.

Any thoughts? Or are they really not as small as I think they are?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    Hi. Im sorry for your losses. I was wondering could they be Bantams?

3. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I don't think they are. The gold laced cochins I saw at the farm were lf, not bantams. The orps were also lf as well.
    And the cochin was a replacement for the blue cochin. When I brought her home at a couple days old, she was the size of the egyptian that was a week older, so I don't think I ended up with a bantam.

Anything is possible at this point, but I don't think they are bantams.

4. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    Sorry, i can't think of anything else. I hope somebody will answer soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by