They Stink

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lizzyq, Mar 26, 2015.

1. lizzyq

lizzyq New Egg

Mar 26, 2015
    I am a newbie to this, we have always had older chickens never chicks. We got 6 baby chicks on Sunday, so about 4 days ago and they were about 5 days old when we got them. We have them in a big cage with pine shavings. They are in the house and the smell is horrible. What do you all do about the smell? Also a couple of them have pasty butt and I am having to clean their bums everyday. Is this normal? Is there an age when they out grow this issue?

2. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    how deep do you have the bedding? the deeper it is, the eaiser it is for them to keep it stirred up, the poo generally only smells when it's wet, so the more you can do to dry it faster, the less smell. Find some stall dry or sweet PDZ and sprinkle in there with them. One thing that helps for us, when it starts to smell a little bit, I just add another inch or so of shavings and clean it out about a week to week and a half

as for the pasty butt, I'm no expert at all, but I've read a lot where that's really only a problem for the first week or so. Clean them up, coat the little backside with some olive oil, it will help keep the poo from sticking to the fuzzy butt.........

3. ORChickFam

ORChickFam Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    We have 17 in the house and we don't have a smell at all. We scoop the shavings 2 times a day, in the morning before feeding and in the evening before their dinner feeding. My neighbor stopped by and didn't even notice they were there till I showed her.

As for pasty butt, I believe it's usually within the first 10 days then it should be cleared up. It's due to too much stress, too much heat from the lamp, and not enough protein.

4. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    There is definitely a problem with your set-up since baby chicks do not smell as long as the poop is picked out of the litter a couple times a day.

As has already been pointed out, perhaps you have the brooder too hot. That will cause both pasty butt and runny poop since the chicks will be trying to cool down by drinking much more water than they normally would. Better to have the brooder too cool than too hot.

Is the water secured so they can't tip it over or splash water onto the shavings? Wet shavings will really stink.

With just six chicks, it's easy to keep the brooder clean, and it's well worth the effort for everyone's sake.

5. lizzyq

lizzyq New Egg

Mar 26, 2015
    Thanks for the responses. I cleaned the brooder box and put a deeper layer of shavings in than before. I will stay on top of cleaning it more frequently. I checked the heat and its 90 degrees in the corner by the light. The chicks love to hang out in front of it in a clump. But it's probably too hot as a few chics have runny droppings. I had to clean a few vents again today. I added 4 new chicks to the brooder today. Now I have 10 total. The chicks are about a week apart in age. Is the same temp fine for all of them? I know I have read that you decrease the temp for every week of age. Here's a pic of my new additions. The strawberries are for me not the chicks.:)
    [​IMG]

6. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Those temp guidelines are very general. Since your chicks are so close in age, the new ones should be fine.

Ditch the thermometer from her on. You don't need it. Watch the chicks and they'll tell you if you need to raise or lower the lamp. I would go by what the new ones indicate they need, and the others will hang out on the edges of the brooder.

But if you continue to have problems with runny poop, maybe you need a larger brooder so they have room to move away from the heat if it's too much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by