1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

They sure love lettuce!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Kentucky Steve, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Kentucky Steve

Kentucky Steve Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2012
    Picked up a head of lettuce for the gals on the way home from work today. They went to town on that thang!

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    My chickens will not eat lettuce for the life of me. They hate it! :(

3. LaPetiteFarmer

LaPetiteFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    Vista, CA
    Mine get lettuce every day and they devour it.... especially my silkies

4. PAchickengirl

PAchickengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    Mine didn't seem to. Are for it. Celery leaves, either. I've seen them eat grass and such,not sure why they wont eat other stuff!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

Mine done like celery either. Neither do they like applies, cucumbers or carrots. They only like watermelon, cantaloupe, grapes, pasta, eggs, egg shells and bread. They are kinda picky. I tried to feed them pulp from my juicing but they turned their nose up at that. :/

6. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    Mine eat all of it! I give them Lettuce, Cabbage, Kale, broccoli, spinach or something green everyday. I started doing this when the Austarlorps were several weeks old. Back them I chopped the stuff in a food processor. They also love Pumpkins. Just cut a 2" hole in the side and they will take care of the rest.

Greens are very good for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by