They survived just fine...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rpchris, Oct 4, 2011.

1. rpchris

rpchris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    Saint Louis, MO
    After much hand-wringing and reading recommendations both for and against my plan, I moved my 5 week old chicks out of the basement and into their unheated coop. They spent their first night outside in an unheated coop with the temperature dropping down to 48 degrees F, and you know what? They did just fine, thank you very much.

I did check on them around midnight and they were loosely huddled together, but not chirping as if in distress. This morning as soon as it was light they all rushed the feeder and waterer. I guess they didn't move around much last night in the dark. I also made them some oatmeal to warm them up which they seemed to enjoy given the amount of oatmeal stuck to their faces, each other, and the walls of the coop. [​IMG]

So this just goes to show that even young chickens can handle the cold just fine if they have a non-drafty coop and a few companions to huddle with.

2. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    this is wonderful! I am happy for you and your chicks [​IMG]

I will be in the same situation in a few weeks, I hope mine will fare as well as yours!

3. tritty74

tritty74 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    Wisconsin
    x2:D

4. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    Yes, i also notice that even with my little babies I can let the brooder get way cooler than I thought they would like. I've had nobody complain yet. Temps in the brooder went down into the middle 70s last night and the chicks are 2 weeks old. This morning they were fine and running around, not huddled under the lamp at all.

5. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    I put my 4 & 5 week olds yesterday in a tempory small coop, i was worried about them and checked on them several times but they did just fine. When i checked on them about midnight the coop temp was around 70 f, which was good considering there was no heating.

6. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    way to go....not so hard was it? [​IMG]

7. tritty74

tritty74 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    Wisconsin
    They can really handle more than us newbies realize. I am guilty of worries also but am learning to relaxe and enjoy.

8. Campesina

Campesina Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2011
    My 2 week olds love to go out in 60 degree weather!
    I don't let them stay long though.
    They all jump up on the edge of the brooder and want out.
    The best part was when they chased a bee. That was so great.

9. new2chickens2011

new2chickens2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    I was really worried about my five week old chicks, but they're fine...[​IMG] A lot of worrying for nothing. They didn't even go in their coop, they stayed in the run!

10. WeimarGirl

WeimarGirl New Egg

Oct 4, 2011
    Hello all. I'm new to this discussion board, and new to raising chickens. My 4 month old Barred Rocks are experiencing their first windy rain storm here in Northern California. I have a question about introducing new chicks to my very small flock. My daughter wanted the chickens, so I let her pick the breed and the coop plans. She chose 4 Barred Rocks and a fairly small A-Frame type house/run combo which is designed for 12 chickens, but I think would comfortably fit only 5 to 6. Well, I took her to the fair this summer and fell in love with the one Golden Laced Wyandotte that was being shown. I just had to have one. So I ordered one from our local feed store. Now it is the beginning of October and I have a baby chicken in the house and a few questions.

1. When can a young chicken be put outside in the fall/winter? We live 40 miles East of Sacramento, so not too far North. Our winter nights sometimes get down to the teens, but not regularly. We get snow 2 to 3 times a year, from a light dusting to a foot or more, but it doesn't stay around long. So, average winter temperatures I suppose, not too warm, not too cold. The coop I built them has a few small cracks between the wall boards on the two end walls. I am thinking about leaving these un-caulked as I read the coops need ventilation and I will be sealing up their windows soon to conserve heat. So the house may be a bit drafty.

2. What do I do about food when I do put her out? The older chickens will be ready for a lay mixture which I have read has too much calcium among other things to be good for a chicken under 6 months old. The baby will still be eating chick starter. Any suggestions?

3. She is lonely. I really only want 5 chickens total, but now I'm thinking maybe she needs a buddy. She was part of the last shipment of chicks the feed store was going to sell this year. If they are no longer selling them (I plan to call today to see if maybe they have just one left), does anyone know of a reputable place to purchase one chick at this time of year?

Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by