They think it's too soon for chores...

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Zahboo, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    We just had a new person come into the house. Her background is she's 20, has a 4 year old that is with her Wednesdays and every other weekend, and no job. She had an apartment but the ex fiance kicked her out. She's staying here while she saves up money for a place, she's my brother's best friend. The thing is no one else wants to ask her to do her part. I figured she'd at least do her own laundry! Nooooo she leaves them on the floor! I have to keep my room, the bathroom and living room straight, those are my chore rooms. She is sharing my room with me, because it's the only one 2 twin beds could fit in. I'm fine with that, but mom said it's too early to start asking her for help vacuuming, shampooing, and laundry. It's not like I'm asking her to do my clothes, just keep your nasty socks off my floor and make it into the laundry hamper. Make the bed before you get up to go sit on the couch. I don't mean to make her a slave, but everyone has to do their share, if you're not in school, you clean house, if you're not at work, you're at home keeping it together. She did go job hunting, but I asked her to make her bed up because a friend was coming over and she just looked at my brother who then told me to do it! I'm picky on how the house looks for friends, my room, my rules. I didn't ask her to come stay, I was nice enough to share my space.

When is it too soon to start doing your part? In my opinion after your first night, you stay here, you help here. Mom and them seem to think differently, but in a 3 bedroom with 5-6 people depending if my cousin has chemo or not, there isn't enough space to let it get messy. My brother already shares his room with my cousin when he's here, my room is shared. We can't share anymore. [​IMG]

2. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Yesterday!

3. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Well I agree with you. No moochers. Why exactly is it even okay that she is staying there? I don't get it [​IMG] Anyway, at 20 years old, she'd surely be picking up her own filthy socks and making her own bed or she would be made feel very unwelcome in MY ROOM. She better recgnize who is helping who out, and get with the program. Intolerable if you ask me. Nothing worse than a lazy mooch. [​IMG]

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    She sounds like a pig...
    I wouldnt be happy either... and she must be a pretty rude person to move into someones house and be slob....

5. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

As Barney would say,"NIP IT IN THE BUD!" Now's the time. She's living there now, right?

6. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    A 4-year-old is capable of helping around the house, but doing little things with simple directions. Such as, putting a napkin at the table for everybody for supper or helping to sweep the floor. Something simple with praise afterward for a good job. Plus, I think it teaches them pride in a job well done.

As for the 20-year-old, if she is not helping at all or very little, then that's another issue. [​IMG]

7. NaomiSarah

NaomiSarah Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2010
    In my opinion, the moment you step in someone else's home you clean up every speck of mess you make. I do dishes when invited to friends' houses for dinner, or at least offer to sweep the floor afterwards. I have three kids, and to be invited into someone else's home for any reason is a privilege, so I strive to leave the place with nothing out of place from where it was when I arrived. If my kids mess up the floor, they clean it up. If I change my clothes, MY laundry is no one's responsibility but mine, and it's not my right to force the residents of the house to step over my stuff. I don't think it's strict to expect that. It's basic respect, and (unfortunately) some people were never taught how to adequately respect their own or someone else's home.

8. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:[​IMG]

9. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    She should have been asked to do her part the day she moved in. What on earth is wrong with your mother? Why does she feel that she and the rest of the family should be this person's servant? Find out and then tell me. I wanna know.

10. NaomiSarah

NaomiSarah Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2010
    I think if you very expectantly and excitedly ask the four year old to help, you'll be surprised at how willing and eager to please a four year old is. My kids LOVE their chores.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by