They used the new nest box!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PtldChick, Feb 12, 2012.

1. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Hooray! I put two new nest boxes in last night - a different design than the hooded cat litter boxes they've been using. These two are a round plastic tub from the dollar store inside a milk crate turned on its side. The tubs had cut outs for handles so I zip-tied through them to the crates for stability.

Today I had my first banty Cochin egg in one of them and my Welsummer who has been laying for about two weeks used the same one this afternoon.

I thought the new boxes would at least take a while to get used to (and maybe put them off laying for a little bit). Not for some of the girls anyway. And I had one or two more LF eggs today than my highest day so far! Yea girls!

[​IMG]

2. berniezahm

berniezahm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    Could you post a picture of the tub in a milk crate nest box please. And maybe just the tub if you still have one not zip tied into the milk crate. Always looking for an inexpensive easy to produce nest box, Thanks.[​IMG]

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Congratulations! I know exactly how it feels to add something new to the coop - FOR THEM - and have them not immediately like it. Or at all. MUCH better when the chickens decide they like it right away.

Did chicken math take over, is that why you needed more nest boxes? Or did you remove the covered litter box ones due to space constraints? Just curious.

4. PtldChick

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I needed more - I have banties that I expect to start laying any day now, so the new ones are on a shelf above the litter boxes. Plus, I have a broody that has taken over one of the old boxes. I had girls lining up to use the one on the end the other day. They might not all like the top ones, but if at least a few do, that will help.

5. PtldChick

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR

I don't have a picture but will try to describe it so maybe you can picture it better.

The tub is a plastic mini version of a beverage tub - the round kind that you put ice and drinks in for a party. It's about a 12" diameter bottom, 14" diameter top rim, and about 5" high. Just picture a big round bowl with a flat bottom that perfectly fits inside a square milk crate.

The milk crate is on it's side so that there's a roof, two sides and a back, and the tub rests on the 'floor'. I put the shavings in the tub/bowl and a golf ball.

The tubs are kind of like this, but round, not oval, and level top. Same cut out handles and colors though, I have blue and pink. I originally got them to turn upside down and put gallon waterers on in my brooder hutches. Now they're doing double duty. :)

http://www.dollartree.com/teachers-...bs/208c404c445p296344/index.pro?method=search

6. berniezahm

berniezahm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    Thank You, I found the oval ones you showed with that dollartree URL. The local Dollar Tree does not have the round ones. I purchased two of the oval ones (both blue) and will try them. Rereading your post I caught the banty cochins. The one I assembled look like it would be best for banty hens, kind of tight for full sized hens. Thanks again. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by