They want me to kill her but I am not so sure really need help!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by momreda, Dec 9, 2009.

1. momreda

momreda Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Cumberland Furnace, TN
    I have a young hen that has what I can describe as like a pocket of air (a bubble or something) on her chest. I can push in on it but when I move my fingers it comes back. She acts normal, shows no sign of anything wrong! She eats and drinks normally as well. Has anyone seen this before and if so do you know what it is? I really do not want to harm her but I also do not want her to have something that she can pass on to the other chicks. Thanks so much!!

2. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    My little showgirl has a very pronounced thing like this. When she was eggbound, the vet told me it was her airsac and to never ever try to "lance" it or anything like that, or it will cause infection, that some birds just have them more pronounced than others and if she gets sick, its even more prounounced. Hers was bulbous when she got eggbound, yet she was eating nothing.

He told me not to worry about it, I was thinking she had sour crop or impacted crop but it had nothing to do with that, so was glad I didnt try to "work on her" in that manner.

She is about two years old now and healthy as a horse right now, altho she does tend toward egg binding issues and that was her prob.

3. momreda

momreda Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Cumberland Furnace, TN
    Thank you so much!

4. zowieyellowflame

zowieyellowflame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    I had a chick that had this on its shoulder. My husband said we should cull, but what do you know.... feathers grew in and I don't even know which black chicken it was now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by