They want to take my chickens!

hezevz

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 26, 2013
I've had my four girls since they were three days old. They'll be a year old in April. I did a countless amount of research all saying that I am allowed to have chickens as long as I'm following city rules. A man stopped to my house saying he was with the county and that I'm not allowed to own them. I must have missed something in the hours of research I did. What should I do? How do I begin to keep my babies? What should I expect?

I love my chickens and I can't imagine loosing them. Please help!

I'm in Allegheny County.

I live in Edgewood.
Pittsburgh, PA.

Assuming that your chickens are in a coop and not roaming 'at large', this is the only section that they could possibly get you on, and that would be a stretch.

§ 84-9. Noise.
It shall be unlawful for any person to keep any dog, or dogs, cats, or other animals which by frequent howling, baying, yelping and screeching shall disturb the peace of the neighborhood or constitute a health hazard to the citizens of the Borough of Edgewood.

Here is the full text:
http://www.keystatepub.com/keystate-pdf//PA/Allegheny/Edgewood Borough/Chapter 84 Animals.pdf

I would call your councilman and talk directly to the person you elect to represent you.

Good luck.

Hi everyone,

Sorry it's been so long since I've posted. My computer is on the fritz.

I've talked to my council, zoning officer, and just about everyone else.
I filed a variance because they are not considered domestic pets specifically in Edgewood. Since I filed the variance I still can keep my girls and coop exactly how they are until my hearing.

The P4, Pittsburgh Pro Poultry People, have contacted me and are willing to help me and have so much already.
Assuming Edgewood will allow me to have someone out of the borough talk the P4 president is willing to speak on my behalf at my hearing which will be April 22nd.

I have a petition prepared for my street, one for all of Edgewood, and neighbors willing to speak for me. I also have a council member rooting for me to win because he wants chickens too. I've been to a council meeting and started my case and they said that they're actually in the process of rewriting the ordinance already so it seems that I'll have a very good chance of having it changed to my specific needs if they're not already close to it. I mentioned the Forest Hills ordinance that was just passed in October. (for anyone on here that doesn't know, Forest Hills is one of the neighboring communities) From my standing right now, I should be able to have the ordinance officially changed!

I'm excited to say that, from the looks of it, I am twenty years old and changing a strict borough ordinance.
smile.png

I'll keep everyone posted as often as I can.

So I was told I had to try to file a variance, I tried. I literally had no chance at all. Legally, the zoning committee couldn't let me have them because it's considered a law against them. Now, I have to file an appeal with the court of common pleas. Once that's filed, I have that amount of time until I have to get rid of them. I have to convince the council now.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having to go through all this! How frustrating, especially after researching it out to make sure.
I'm in Forest Hills, so "Hi, neighbor!" I was completely psyched last year when I heard the ordinance here was passed, and a little nervous when we submitted our application for the permit, but the zoning officer was very laid back about it all. I wish you all the best in fighting to keep your chickens, and do post updates!

It's nice to hear from someone so close! :)

For an update, I went to the court of common pleas today and got some papers I'm going to need to file. I'm planning to go back tomorrow with the papers all filled out, my letter explaining that the borough is granting me a "stay" and the $118 to file my appeal. Once I file, I take the receipt to the borough building and my fight begins again. :)

I've been emailing the council president and she is rooting for me because she actually grew up on a farm. I also had one of the council members sign my petiton. So as of now, I have 2 of 7 votes in my favor and I haven't even presented my case yet. I think this should go well in the end. I just wish everything wasn't so darn expensive!

I'll keep on with the updates.

Thanks for the support everyone!

Back
Top Bottom