They went AWOL

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by artsyrobin, Jul 3, 2010.

1. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    my ducks found the pond today on the otherside of the acreage- it is surrounded with foliage, and steep banks, so i can't get to them, they show no inclination of coming in for the night- any ideas on how to coax them in??

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Eventually they get hungry for the good stuff. Try in the morning. I bet they will be ready for peas then.

3. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Im sure they will come back.The flock I got this year was a bit harder training than the one's I used to raise.But then again I didn't really have any adult's except 2 mallard drake's this time to try and get the young one's out.We sadly have lost 4 out of 29 and one was one the adult drake's.The 2 I got last fall as adult's and they basicaly stayed on our small pond all winter.When we got the other's spring they took up with them.We had to actualy run the young one's out of horse stall to get them to water.Then they got stubborn for couple week's.But think the predator's that got the 4 had them terrorized at night and now everyone goes back to stall at dark.I was feeding the 2 drakes at pond area witner but I keep feed pans and water tote next to stall and they pretyy much stay around there all day now.I hope they will be safe we have lost many here due to turtle/fox/ coyote etc. Im glad I got this group fianly trained to come back at night

4. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    thanks! i am a wreck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by