They went in the coop themselves!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hd_darcy, Jun 16, 2010.

1. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I'm so proud! We've been letting our chickens free range here and there for quite awhile now (they are 2 - 3 months old). But, recently we have been letting them out in the morning and in at night since maybe this past week...since the coop was finished.. (the run is not). Anyway, I walked over there tonight and they chased me, and jumped in! They went in the "people door", but I'll take it! Well four of them did, the three silkies came to it, but didn't jump in. Not sure they could make that jump. Anyway, I'm so happy! Boy, I'd love it if our chicken chasing days were over with!

Is that how it works with free range chickens, they just sense when it's time?? And of course seeing me walk over there??

Cool! I would LOVE it if this continued [​IMG] Maybe we don't even need a run..ha..ha..

2. Bandit

Bandit Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Utah
    My free rangers were locked in the coop for about a week then let out. They had to be put in the coop twice, after that they figured it out and tuck themselves in every night just at sunset. [​IMG]

3. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    That is just so awesome! [​IMG] Right now their chicken door is too far off the ground. My husband has to levl out the area better for the coop. So, right now the coop is level, but it's on blocks on the side their 'door' is. Maybe once it gets leveled, I will encourage that they use that door and quit opening the big one to let them out [​IMG] Maybe then they will go back in entirely on their own...

How exciting!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by