they were a gift...now, what sex and what breed do i have???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by beaversmouse, Jun 18, 2010.

1. beaversmouse

beaversmouse Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2010
    my daughter received these as a gift from a farmer friend...
    i've enclosed some pics and am hoping you can help me...
    1) i am pretty sure is a rooster...not sure what breed?
    2) is this a rooster? he also has hairy legs...breed?
    3) larger pic of #1
    4) hens...but i don't know the breed? is the one on the right a rir? the left is black and white...
    5) hens...again, breed? the one on the right has hairy feet, and on the left...don't know

any help would be greatly appreciated. i know that our friend has several chickens...and a banty rooster (i think that's the term)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i hope the pics came up...

2. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    [​IMG] the first is a roo. they look like mixed banties, very pretty and healthy.

3. beaversmouse

Jun 17, 2010
    #2 is my biggest concern...is it a rooster? and if so, can they live together or will there be constant fighting?

4. The Lisser

The Lisser Chillin' With My Peeps

#1 I agree does look like a rooster. I don't know the breed, hopefully someone with more experience can help. He is good-looking!
    #2 maybe a cuckoo marans hen. Do you know how old they are? Her comb and wattles are alot smaller than #1 so if they are the same age, most likely #2 is a hen.

Hopefully you'll get more input.

Good luck!

5. beaversmouse

Jun 17, 2010
    they are all the same age...i think they are around 11-12 weeks old. but i'm not positive. it does have a smaller comb than the other, but it's comb is also larger than the 4 others (those i'm pretty sure are hens)...thanks for the input!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by