They were fertile. - Candling update!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TheOLDNewChick, Dec 24, 2007.

1. TheOLDNewChick

TheOLDNewChick I'm an original

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    I found out most of those eggs the broody was sitting on were fertile & developing. I went out there this morning and the eggs were cold, and there were three cracked open eggs with half-developed chicks in them in the nest. I cleaned out the nest and replaced the hay and put the eggs back, thinking the broody would get back up there but so far she hasn't.. The eggs are cold, so I'm guessing they won't hatch now. But I caught my polish hen scratching in the nest and knocking the eggs against the side of the nestbox. What to do?

-edit- I thought of a subject.

UPDATE! 12/26/2007 5:36pm CST

I just candled the two eggs. Egg "a" is the most developed, and again, half the egg is dark, not TOO much change. Except I saw a little black spot inside the egg amongst the darkness. What is this? Is it normal? Is that a good sign or a bad one?

On the other hand, I think there's a little more development in egg "b" than there was about a week ago. It's not as far along as egg "a" but it's getting there. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2007
  2. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    If you haven't already, you can put some hay in an electric skillet on very low and put the eggs in there with a small cup of water and put the lid on (just propped open a bit) and they might hatch. I'm sorry about this.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If you can get them into a make shift incubator, there is a small chance you can get a few chicks.

4. TheOLDNewChick

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    I was thinking if I put them in a small icechest with a couple damp towels and a heat lamp maybe it'd work?

5. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    How far along do you think they are?

6. TheOLDNewChick

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    Well, one of them is at day 17, give or take a few days. I just candled, and only two left were developing. Half the eggs are black and I can see veins.

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Oh wow, I wonder what happened. Did she change her mind?
    I hope you can save some. A heat lamp is good I think if you have a thermometer laying on top of the eggs and keep the temp stable

8. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    When I was a kid.
    A hen died at day 18 mom took the egs put them in a plastic mixing bowl on a wash cloth put a wet sponge in a baby food jar placed that in the center with the eggs surounding it.
    put it on an electric blanket wraped the blanket around it and they hatched 2/3 days later..

as a kid I was not surprised at all that they hatched I expected no less BUT now as an adult I never would have imagined it working.

9. TheOLDNewChick

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    I'm gonna try this. I did the heat lamp last night but I came up with a better idea that will hopefully work. I'll keep y'all updated.

Merry Christmas to y'all.

10. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

Hope it works out!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Tonya

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by