They will be ok right?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mrsmaonaigh, Nov 15, 2010.

1. mrsmaonaigh

mrsmaonaigh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    SE Georgia
    Someone on here said it and now I know why. I will never never never raise chicks inside again, even in the garage. The chicks are 4 weeks old and I moved them outside. They are in an enclosed space with a heat lamp. There are 25 of them and the low tonight is 55. I'm a worry wart though and I'm paranoid that I'm going to wake up to 25 dead chicks in the morning. Will they be fine?

2. natrgatr

natrgatr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Columbia City, IN
    They should be fine.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I said it! (Of course I've got to be far from the only one.) I'm sure you'll check on them this evening. Don't lose sleep over it, really, they should be fine.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I hatch in the house so I can keep the incubator steady. When they come out of the incubator, they go in ther brooder which is in the coop. No way would I even consider raising them in the house.

If you have it set up so there are no drafts, you should be fine.

5. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    I raised mine indoors too, and they fussed the first night out in the coop, but they quickly enjoyed all the extra room and learned to roost. as they got older I brought the roosts higher for them. I too was worried about them at first, but they are happy out there, and they will be fine.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They should be fine. (Check on them before you go to bed.)[​IMG]

7. mrsmaonaigh

Sep 2, 2010
    SE Georgia
    Thanks y'all. I'm forever worrying that something is going to go wrong so it helps to hear that.

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Ditto. Very few of my chickens have ever seen the inside of my house. My roo has been in for foot doctoring and I've brought my favorite in for some cuddling. That's it. From day one they are outside where they belong, IMO.

Make sure that heat lamp is double secure and then relax. They'll be fine. [​IMG]

9. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:You make me laugh. Honey, calm down. They'll be fine. [​IMG] I got my first chicks at 4 weeks old, stuck em' outside in the 45 degree weather when it was pouring rain, where they slept in a completely open coop. You'll wake up tomorrow and they'll be fine. Now, get some rest!

10. mrsmaonaigh

Sep 2, 2010
    SE Georgia
    Got up this morning, rushed out and the chicks are just fine. We put this rack contraption that has a bunch of poles on it in there and they are having a blast being able to perch. One less thing to worry about. And VERY glad they are out of my house!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by