They won't come in, out of the rain!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kojack, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Kojack

Kojack Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2009
    Independence
    My girls are all out and about in the rain. They range around the yard when I'm home and for some reason they will not go back in the coop even though we've had rain most of the day. I let them out this AM when it was not raining and well... Frankly, I wonder about the lack of intelligence here.[​IMG]

Are your chickens smarter than mine?

2. Kojack

Jul 14, 2009
    Independence
    Forgot to add, its not a light drizzle. ITS FREAKIN' POURING!

3. Shiningfeather

Shiningfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    Its been raining here for 2 days and most of mine choose to stay out in it to. They are a muddy mess, even though most of their free range area is grass. They love to dig for worms in the mud. [​IMG] I even stopped at the store and brought them home special treats, (damaged produce) and they ate it then went back to digging! [​IMG]

4. Kojack

Jul 14, 2009
    Independence
    Hello? ( I know I'm bumping my own thread, But i'm curious)

5. AtHomeDaddy

AtHomeDaddy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2008
    Austin, TX
    We hve not had rain all summer long, but it has rained for two days straight now and my hens all want to be out in the slop, too. I finally chased everyone in, but they were not happy to be enclosed. And I was a muddy mess after the efforet.

Next time I just leave them out to play in the rain.

6. Casey3043

Casey3043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Rain does not seem to bother them---that's when the worms come out. Mine stay out in it too, and I have gotten soaked trying to get them in. Never again!

You've heard the expression, "Not enough sense to come in out of the rain"? Well, now you know where it came from.

7. Kojack

Jul 14, 2009
    Independence
    HAHA its just that It reminds me of the adage of the turkeys drowning in the rain. I hate that the girls are soaking wet. I hope they don't get sick from it. [​IMG] But the rooster sure looks funny all of his feathers are drooping from the rain.

8. Shiningfeather

Shiningfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    You ought to see polish when they are wet....... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Laurieks

Laurieks Where did the time go???

Aug 14, 2009
    Sonoma County, CA
    My big Cochins will sleep out in the rain. Everyone else runs for cover. [​IMG]

10. Kojack

Jul 14, 2009
    Independence
    Quote:That has to be picture worthy... i can only imagine![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by