They won't come out of the coop into the snow

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by NHchicks, Feb 5, 2011.

1. NHchicks

NHchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    I don't remember the chickens being so timid last year, but this year they stay cooped up and won't venture out into the snow. I shoveled a little spot for them, and they'll go out there if it's not windy or too inclement, but for the most part they're just staring out looking for spring. I keep the human door open all day just in case, and put their food and water just outside the door. I don't think the rooster is getting a lot of romance either. They're not in the mood and there's not enough space. I'm getting 2-3 eggs a day from 9 hens.

Pretty soon they'll be back at my sliding glass doors tho, driving my husband nuts with chicken poop all over the place... Can't wait.

2. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    mine are that way, try tossing hay or pine shavings on the snow??

3. NHchicks

NHchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Yup, that's what I've been doing: raking the old shavings from the coop out onto the snow. Only trouble is, it's snowing so frequently, keeps covering it back up. Works well tho, really fakes the chickens out, they think it's hard ground.

4. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    mine haven't seen so much snow, so the older ones are familiar with it, the younger ones would just stand there and stare- we got hit with a blizzard last week, and more is supposed to be here this week, so they aren't going to be happy - i do let them out on the porch to stretch and a change of scene, but they are grumbling!

5. Louise's Country Closet

Louise's Country Closet Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Garrison, MN
    For mine, it depends on the day too for if they want to come out or not. I have a couple who will run out the door and look shocked when they find themselves in snow, and some who like to come out and eat it. I have a rooster who absolutely refuses to come outside, lol, and a few girls who aren't too fond of it. I can't really blame them.. could you imagine walking around in the snow without shoes? LOL

We're getting closer to spring though, YAY!!!

6. jaj121159

jaj121159 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Northeast Nebraska
    You know why they won't come out?

They're chicken [​IMG]

7. groverlvchx

groverlvchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2012
    Minnesota
    [​IMG]

8. groverlvchx

Oct 14, 2012
    Minnesota
    Mine finally came out today!!! [​IMG]It took me going in their coop, removing pretty much everything and raking the deep bedding around. I also raked some hay into their yard. I have 14 mutts (which are small/standard) and 3 black orpingtons, which came a few weeks later and are lowest in the pecking order. Well, after today the orps are no longer scared and had a BLAST enjoying the yardful of treats (scratch, backed squash, fresh rye grass fodder) and the little chicken bullies stayed inside. So glad for the orps! They'll be the ones to give me eggs first, so I'm happy to see them getting lots of nutrition and not bullied away from the treats so much. I was getting tempted to show them a mirror..."you laides are bigger than those little bullies!"

9. groverlvchx

Oct 14, 2012
    Minnesota
    *baked* squash (oops) [​IMG]

10. groverlvchx

Oct 14, 2012
    Minnesota
    *ladies* ... sheesh I need an editor!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by