They won't drink in the coop

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bearchix, Sep 9, 2011.

1. bearchix

bearchix Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2011
    I have recently made some hanging waterers using chicken nipples and 5 gallon buckets. They work great and I have one inside the coop and one outside the coop. I managed to get the chickens trained on the watere outside the coop and figured seeing they look identical that they would figure out the one inside the coop as well. However, when they come out in the mornings, they run straight to the outside waterer and drink as though they are dying of thirst! I have to assume they are not drinking from the other waterer inside the coop. They also don't like me being inside the coop, so I can't show them how to use it.

Has anyone else had this problem? How can I get them to use the one in the coop as well, as I don't want them to go thirsty during the night. Thanks!

2. kitkatnoah

kitkatnoah Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    Chickens are funny that way! I have two 1 gallon water containers in the coop & run for them and several more out in the yard, but when I let them every morning, to free range, they all flock to the bird bath and drink from that. And yes, they act like they're dying of thirst while glaring at me [​IMG] They had no problem using the water containers in the yard and coop until I put in a bird bath for the wild birds, they watched all the wild birds drinking from there and that was all it took. I have noticed that every once in a while when they get through laying an egg, they will take a drink from the container on the way out of the coop [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by