They won't eat the bread with Valbazine

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bobbieschicks, Dec 12, 2011.

1. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I've tried to put the wormer on a piece of bread using the 1cc dropper and feeding it to them - but my chickens would not eat the bread. It's perfectly good white sandwhich bread that I eat. They wouldn't even eat the bread without the meds on it. What alternative way is there to worm with Valbazine?

This time I used Ivermectin pouron and put drops on their backs using the polysol dropper - but it seemed like alot of dropping and I worried that I gave too big a dosage.

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Get a syringe and a bottle of nail polish . As you give each bird a dose, dab some nail polish on a foot to id them. Do not use red polish!

3. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Hi I used Safe-Guard Dewormer on mine and it worked fine, its a paste so they can't really spit it out. LOL Plus they didn't even try so I'm assuming they didn't mind the taste, I don't remember the dosage exactly but just remembering putting on drop about the size of a red hot on each ones tongue, I don't know what others will say but it worked fine for me, none of the chickens got sick from it.

Are you sure they have worms, because I personally wouldn't worm them unless they were showing signs of having them, some people worm on a reg schedule but I don't like to give meds unless they are really called for. Sandy

4. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Quote:thats an excellent Idea with the fingernail polish to Id already dosed chickens.

5. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I dose in the morning before I let them free range. Each chicken gets a dose and then gets tossed (gently) out of the coop/run area. When the run is empty, I'm finished! I tried the Valbazine in the bread method. That was a disaster! It's way to hard to get 40+ chickens to eat their bite of bread and leave everyone else's alone. Some guys ended up with a double dose and others ended up without.

6. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    l was concerned about that very thing - however only one chicken even came close to the bread and she wouldn't even eat it. LOL! I have 13 chickens to dose at the same time and one rooster that is a rooster not a pet - so I do my dosing at night on the roost. Makes for crowded mayhem, but at least I get it done.

I do have the Valbazine on hand so I want to use it next time I need to worm, but I don't want to do the bread method - unless someone can tell me a better way to do it then just injecting the bread, tossing it to them and hoping they will eat it and get the right dosage. I guess I could try putting the drops in their mouth, but that makes me nervous. Any other suggestions on how to use the Valbazine? I'd hate to toss it at the price I paid.

No, they were not showing signs of worms. But I had wormed them all first with Wazine at Thanksgiving time and this was their follow up worming.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by