1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

They won't eat their layer pellets!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by FingerLakesChick, Sep 11, 2008.

1. FingerLakesChick

FingerLakesChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Western New York
    I'm starting to get concerned because my chickens just refuse to eat their layer pellets. They free-range all day and I'm sure there are better treats in the yard than chicken feed... but some times they just seem ravenous but still refuse to supplement with the layer feed. Should I be worried that they will starve? Or will they eventually just eat the layer feed again when they get hungry enough.

I have to admit I've created monsters because I give lots of treats! Sunflower seeds, grapes, oatmeal, pasta, cheese, apples, spinach, corn on the cob etc. All in moderation... but I have a feeling this is my fault because these goodies taste so much better than the pellets do! [​IMG]

I know "shame on me"!!

2. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I have fed 2 different brands of layer feed. They liked both but I prefer the cheaper one myself so they get that.
    I did try the Dumor brand and they refused to eat it. Lesson learned on my part.
    I feed lots of different goodies through out the day and mine are free ranged. First thing in the morning and last thing at night they really fill up their crops on the pelleted feed I have out for them.
    I do have one bunch of Araucanas that have not really eaten anything I have given them except fresh veggies and scratch. I can't get them to eat starter, developer or layer in any brand. They aren't thin but I still worry over them.
    If yours are free ranging on an open lot, not fenced, I wouldn't worry so much. they must be getting plenty where they are searching.

3. FingerLakesChick

FingerLakesChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Western New York
    None of my girls are skinny - that's for sure. But I can't help but worry just the same. Maybe I can get a different brand of feed someplace else. I have always fed them the same stuff from Agway. Thanks!

4. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:Try to make the feed a little wet with water,I did the same and the hens start eating it.
    Good Luck

5. erthymom2

erthymom2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    add some water to make it like a mash, they'll pick at it then start eating it.
    i added a dollop of plain yougurt plopped right on top like a big old cherry on top of a sundae when i first gave them pellets with water and they got that for about a week - always ate it up!! after that i made the amount of yougurt smaller & smaller till there was none.
    spoiler girls !!

6. paul65

paul65 Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2008
    SW Pennsylvania
    Quote:Try to make the feed a little wet with water,I did the same and the hens start eating it.
    Good Luck

I agree add a little water mine eat the feed just not as much if u add water they act like its the best they every tasted lol.

7. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    For some reason, my girls NEVER liked the pellets and will not eat them. I switched to the crumbles variety (its basically the pellets crushed) and...problem solved.

Anne

8. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

I give crumbles, as well. I always thought I'd switch to pellets to reduce the waste I'd read about, but I have my hanger up high enough so that there really isn't any waste to speak of. Maybe adjust your feeder and try crumbles?

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I tried both pellets and crumbles. My birds prefer crumbles. I raised my feeder so it is level with their backs, and there is a lot less waste. Very little does get flicked out but they pickat that too. Mine have access 24/7 to their food and water. I give them treats of scratch, (oats, sunflower seeds, once in awhile bird seed, cracked corn etc.), in small quanities as these are treats. I also give them vegies, fruits, most everything that I can grow. I do grow a lot of corn and watermelon especially, also tomatoes, squash, root crops, the list can go on. I feed them everything except potatoes. I figure they will eat what they want. I do free range them. Also, they get free choice oyster shells and granite grit. [​IMG]

10. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

wht not feed tomatoes?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by