they wont eat!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by shadowpaints, Jun 5, 2010.

1. shadowpaints

shadowpaints Songster

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    ok so the goslings i picked up yesterday, they havent touched their food. is there anything i can do to encourage them?

2. Kim65

Kim65 Songster

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    How old are they? Will they eat anything else (greens?) Are they drinking water?

3. shadowpaints

shadowpaints Songster

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    i think they dranks some water, their bowl was half empty this morning.

i have some chopped up grass in with them. they havent eaten anything yet that i can tell.
    they are 2 weeks old, just got them yesterday

4. Tinted

Tinted Songster

Apr 17, 2010
    Kentucky
    From my experience, when they get hungry enough come hell or high waterÂ…they will eat. They are most likely stressed from the trip to a new place as well. (Im a noob so wait for one of the BYC Goose Masters to show up)

5. Goosehaven

Goosehaven Chirping

Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    What are you feeding them and what type of feeder is it in? It very well could be the transition to a new place because geese do get nervous with change. I would just keep an eye on them to make sure they start eating soon and especially that they are drinking.

6. sillysister74

sillysister74 Chirping

Apr 8, 2010
    I have to agree with the transition theory. With the several times that I have brought home my geese, they waited a day or two before eating normal. I did notice though that they did not hesitate on greenery. Also you can boil an egg and crumble it up. All geese love that.

7. OmaBird

OmaBird Songster

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert
    Mine will only eat tender greens when it is chopped up small and floated in there water. This keeps it fresh. I use floating food (Mazuri waterfowl food sold where Purina is sold or check here https://www.mazuri.com/Home.asp?Products=2&Opening=2 ). Its seems to be the natural way to feed. If you don't have floating food at least moisten crumbles (not mash) and feed it near their water. They need water close to eat.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010

8. shadowpaints

shadowpaints Songster

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    i am feeding them a locally chopped chicken feed ( about 15% protien)
    i just witnessed them both drinking... they also dont seem as scared, they arent huddled in the corner. i did chop up some grass and alfalfa and i put it in their water, i hope they will eat it!

thanks for all the advice!

9. shadowpaints

shadowpaints Songster

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    they are eating!!! they finished ALL the grass i put in AND went strait to the chicken feed! YAY!

10. Goosehaven

Goosehaven Chirping

Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Glad they're eating for you [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by