They won't go in the chicken hutch?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FrontPorchIndiana, Jul 8, 2008.

1. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    Okay, I brought home some crazy banties the other day and the dang things won't go inside the chicken hutch. They roost on top of it. Then yesterday during the rain, they sat under it. I thought maybe they didn't like the wire bottom so I added a thick layer of newspaper to it. That didn't work. I put their food up there. That didn't work. I added bread crumbs, which they really like. Two walked up and picked up one piece and left the rest. Why on earth won't they go inside? I'm worried, there's a thunderstorm coming this afternoon. They're not ready to go in the big coop with the other birds. What do I do?

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    If you could post some pictures, you'd probably get more feedback on things they may be opposed to in the current situation. It could be so many things......do you have pine shavings in there? Adequate ventilation (I know mine don't much care to go in when it's very humid out, as it can get warm in there - I'm having my brother put in a safe screen door of sorts soon to remedy this), not enough room, is there roost in there (what type), etc. If you could supply pics, we can probably give better feedback.

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    There might be something they object to or their only objection might be that it's not where they're used to living. Until they get used to it and it feels like home to them, just put them in there at night or if a storm is coming. At some point they should start going in on their own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by