1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

They wont go in the coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tmq, Jun 29, 2008.

1. tmq

tmq New Egg

Jun 10, 2007
    Wondering why my chickens won't go in the coop of my newly constructed tractor. The hole I cut is round and the size of an ice cream pail. I know they will fit because they went through it to go out into the run but they will not go back in the coop to roost or lay eggs. They are used to a much larger coop maybe that is the problem. The coop is diamond shaped 4x4x6 and 2 ft. wide.

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    The hole seems a bit small. It may just take time for them to get used to it, or you can try enlarging the hole if that's at all possible.

3. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Do you have a light inside the coop? I know my chickens will not go in if it's dark because they can not see in the dark.

4. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Can you put them in there when it starts getting dark?

When I move my girls around from coop to coop, I have to put them to bed manually a few times before they get the idea that it's much more fun to roost INSIDE than on the ground.

Also, put a golf ball in the nest if you haven't already - that can encourage them to lay in the nest.

You can also close them up in the coop part and make them stay in there later in the day (if they have access to food/water) until they lay a couple eggs in the box. That should give them the general idea.

Chickens are very much creatures of habit. Once they learn ONE habit, it can take some time and energy to teach them the NEW habit you want them to learn!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by