1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

They wont go in the house

Discussion in 'Quail' started by bdpost, Jan 15, 2013.

1. bdpost

bdpost Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2012
    I have some bobwhites that I put in a new pen. And they will not go into the hutch, they just stay out in the open part of the pen. They seem curious about it. I have a ramp and they walk up and peek inside, but they wont go in. Any thoughts on how to get them used to it? I thought about putting a flashlight in there, so they can see inside. the weather is not bad now, but I want them to go inside the hutch when it starts getting cold.

Thanks!

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    The best way to deal with this is to lock them in the hutch for a few days and do not let them out. This will give them the idea that it is safe to be in and comfortable for them. Otherwise, they may never use the hutch.

I keep my Bobs in an aviary along side a greenhouse in which thru a hole cut into the greenhouse, there is a rabbit hutch as their shelter. I have them "clicker trained" to get into this "coop" for emergencies, cold nights or when ever I need them to get out of the aviary. (I have way too many birds to mess with catching each one of them LOL) So I started by showing them the dreaded "quail net" all the while clicking my dog clicker and at the same time, telling them to "get into the coop". To avoid the scary net, they automatically ran to the furthest point, which was inside the coop. After a few times holding that net, I no longer needed it and all I had to say was "get into the coop" while clicking the clicker. There are some nights when it is due to get down well into the minus 10 range, and sometimes they go into the coop by themselves, and sometimes I have to order them inside. For training purposes, I used to leave them a big tray of goodies inside the coop so that clicking them in was a reward. They no longer need the goodies. And now after all these years, just telling them to "get into the coop" works just as well. The well versed older birds automatically train the younger birds as well.

So give it a try on training them. They are pretty smart birds and learn pretty quickly.

1 person likes this.
  3. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    I agree completely ^^

4. bdpost

bdpost Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2012
    I appreciate the response. I've been thinking about it. However the hutch is dark, there is a small opening going to the aviary. And I use a hanging water bottle. So I would have to rig some way to giving them water.
    If I put them in there should I put them in through the opening or take them around to where I have the door. I am also curious about the dreaded quail net. Maybe I will try to post some pictures and see what ya'll think.

5. MrNappy

MrNappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2012
    Ajax, Ontario
    Maybe you will.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by